How strong is the load deck when all seats are folded down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm curious how sturdy the load deck is in the back when the seats are folded down? The reason I'm asking is because Ford used cheap plastic panels on the Explorers and Flex's and they mostly all snapped in half with just a person kneeling in the back. I vacuumed my wifes Flex out and I weigh 175 lbs and as I was kneeling in the back vacuuming, the floor snapped in half and Ford Warranteed it with the same exact crappy piece.

I'm hoping the rear loading floor is much stronger than the Flex and Explorer's floors.....
Thanks in advance...:).

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had on my cross country trip... I the back where you are talking about I had a Yeti Tundra and my two dogs that weight about 85 lbs a piece. Nothing broke on my Expy on the inside the entire trip.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm planning on using it on occasion at my funeral home to haul bodies. I'll be putting 400lbs or more on it in small areas as the cot loads into the back.

Jeka

Reaction score
I'm curious how sturdy the load deck is in the back when the seats are folded down? The reason I'm asking is because Ford used cheap plastic panels on the Explorers and Flex's and they mostly all snapped in half with just a person kneeling in the back. I vacuumed my wifes Flex out and I weigh 175 lbs and as I was kneeling in the back vacuuming, the floor snapped in half and Ford Warranteed it with the same exact crappy piece.

I'm hoping the rear loading floor is much stronger than the Flex and Explorer's floors.....
I'm about the same weight, we travel a lot for weekends and I'm climbing inside all the time to organize stuff behind the second row - no issues so far to keep me + whatever I lift inside.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Dunno about 4th gen, but 3rd gen folding seat backs have a panel of HDF across the back of the frame under the carpet

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently hauled 1900lbs of kitchen tile with the second and third row folded down. I understand I was overloading the vehicle by about 600lbs, if you add my 200lb weight to the tile. Handles it just fine.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been regularly hauling 10-15 22.7kg sealed bags of a white powdery substance on the load deck (behind the 3rd row) of my max weekly for the past couple months with no issues.

Ok so it’s actually just 50lb bags of sugar for my store, but it sounds more interesting worded above.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perfect, thank you everyone for your input.
I crawled in a 2019 today and the load floor seems pretty solid except that wimpy little piece of plastic that flips up between the seats. Its only like 6 inches long front to back but Half the width of the rear floor. I kneeled on that little flap and I almost thought I was going to break it. I understand its a small spot, but I'm amazed how wimpy they make parts of these floors. I'm sure it will be fine tho as I know the weakest place so I won't abuse that area if possible. Otherwise I'll lay a flay piece of 1/8" aluminum plate across that area to bridge that area.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been regularly hauling 10-15 22.7kg sealed bags of a white powdery substance on the load deck (behind the 3rd row) of my max weekly for the past couple months with no issues.

Ok so it’s actually just 50lb bags of sugar for my store, but it sounds more interesting worded above.

And that's how you get on a list lol.