How to add remote start using forscan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expy00

Reaction score
My understanding is "If the Remote start option shows up in the FORscan menu, it is on the vehicle. Unless you have the 'As Built' programming entries for that vehicle the options have to show up in the 'Plane English' version of FORscan.

I hope this helps.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Expy00

Check the forscan thread. I added the fog lights as dtr lights, enabled bambi mode, 5x lane change flash, and 20 min cycle for radio while off. I'm glad you got the 1 key to work. Keep trying the 2nd key. I think after you cycle 8x's on and off, once door locks activate, you press a button on the fob, to complete programming. I also activated the my key option for my wife. This activates the low fuel warning a lot sooner. I left all other restrictions off.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Expy00

Reaction score
@mquick5

I did keep trying and posted that I got the second key to work but don't see that post. :(

Here is what I did. I tried like a dozen times. Finally, the door locks cycled and I press the lock button while still in the ignition.

The button worked; the remote start worked. Then, to make sure I tried all the other keys. The other remote start key no longer functioned. So I used it and followed the same procedure again. This time, I pressed the lock button on each of the four keys and they all worked. So now I do have two working remote start keys and two backups for starting and door locks. I told my wife to carry one of the extras in her purse for a while, just in case.

A locksmith had told me is on at least the older Fords one could only program four key for locks and 8 keys for ignition. He told me to press buttons on all four keys that I wanted to use. And though I tried this before, it did not seem to work. But it did this time.

I hope this helps others.

Thanks.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Add me to the remote start activation club.

I used the latest Forscan software and changed the English options instead of the codes. It did give me two options for remote start, so I enabled both of them. I also at the same time decided to revert back from dark interior light mode to regular mode. After I applied the changes, the interior lights immediately changed their behavior. That let me know that my changes had been applied.

But I searched around the settings in my instrument cluster for the Remote start options, but I did not see them. I know that they should be under vehicle and advanced... But the only thing there was oil change reminder and so on.

I had picked up a key earlier in the day from the dealer and had it cut. I only had my one active key with me, so I needed to retrieve the other key from my wife's key ring to use for programming. So I grabbed her key this morning and ran through the programming sequence.

1. Insert Orig Key#1 and turn car on (no ignition) for about 8 seconds and then turn off and remove.
2. Insert Orig Key#2 and turn car on for about 8 seconds and off and remove. (Dash displayed keyless entry code)
3. Insert new Key#3 and turn car on (locks cycled) and I pressed the trunk open button, it unlatched. I turn car off.

I think I was done. I tried the lock/unlock buttons on all three keys one at a time and they all worked. I then started the truck with Key#3 and it worked. Then the moment of truth. I turned the car off, removed the key and tried the remote start. Lock> then Double press> and ... Start!

Yep it was working.

I now just need to know if my XLT single screen Dash should be displaying any "remote start" software menus and if so, what do I need to do to activate them. I have enabled the Trailer brake controller, so I know that menus can change with forscan tweaks. I also need to know how configure the climate controls so that the truck cabin heats up while I have it remotely started.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Add me to the remote start activation club.

I used the latest Forscan software and changed the English options instead of the codes. It did give me two options for remote start, so I enabled both of them. I also at the same time decided to revert back from dark interior light mode to regular mode. After I applied the changes, the interior lights immediately changed their behavior. That let me know that my changes had been applied.

But I searched around the settings in my instrument cluster for the Remote start options, but I did not see them. I know that they should be under vehicle and advanced... But the only thing there was oil change reminder and so on.

I had picked up a key earlier in the day from the dealer and had it cut. I only had my one active key with me, so I needed to retrieve the other key from my wife's key ring to use for programming. So I grabbed her key this morning and ran through the programming sequence.

1. Insert Orig Key#1 and turn car on (no ignition) for about 8 seconds and then turn off and remove.
2. Insert Orig Key#2 and turn car on for about 8 seconds and off and remove. (Dash displayed keyless entry code)
3. Insert new Key#3 and turn car on (locks cycled) and I pressed the trunk open button, it unlatched. I turn car off.

I think I was done. I tried the lock/unlock buttons on all three keys one at a time and they all worked. I then started the truck with Key#3 and it worked. Then the moment of truth. I turned the car off, removed the key and tried the remote start. Lock> then Double press> and ... Start!

Yep it was working.

I now just need to know if my XLT single screen Dash should be displaying any "remote start" software menus and if so, what do I need to do to activate them. I have enabled the Trailer brake controller, so I know that menus can change with forscan tweaks. I also need to know how configure the climate controls so that the truck cabin heats up while I have it remotely started.

My XLT doesn’t display remote start options in the menus, not sure we can get it. Let me know if you do. I feel like I remember seeing something about climate for remote start in forscan, but that was a while ago. Mine blows full blast HOT if it was on the warm side of the spectrum, and Luke warm if it was left on the cool side of the spectrum; definitely more beneficial in winter than summer.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw the climate control HVAC settings in different module. I thought that enabling then was to just define their setting. Perhaps I need to enable them to make them visible in the menus. I had assumed that they would have been viewable once I just enabled remote start.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to enable the remote start: defrost, remote start: HVAC Heat and a third. No difference in the dash screen or behavior.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We received some snow last night. As I was getting ready to get out of bed, my wife remote started the expy. I looked out the window and see truck was covered with snow. By the time I got up and dressed, the rear defroster had cleared the back window! So I guess somehow the truck knows when to defrost? Or does it just run every time it's remote started, with the heat on? IDK but it's nice to know it will clear the front and rear window, during remote start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze