How to attach tow straps/ recovery straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi i have a 2wd expy and go offroading and have yet to get stuckk. I am worried if i do i will have no tow hooks on the front and only a trailer hitch in the back. I was wondering if anyone would happen to have an idea of where i would attach the straps with out harming my car oe if there are hooks somewhere.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the back, you can hook it around the tongue of the bumper. I would try to find a place to wrap the strap around the frame to pull on the front. I always carry heavy duty shackles with me as well, makes it much easier to hook the eye of the strap back into itself rather than putting the strap through the eye and pulling the rest of the slack through again.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Why not just add some tow hooks to the front frame horns?
If you like the stock look, I'm sure you can find a set at just about any junk yard.
If it doesn't matter, then any off road web site or store should have tow hooks for under $25

OP
OP

01expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
would i have to trim the front bumper where the like plastic valence is. Because i dont know if i could get tow hooks to stick out the front without doing a trim of some sort

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
either trim it or get the valance off of a 4wd model.... they are fairly cheap and only bolt on

OP
OP

01expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you think if i trimmed it under the crome bumper and took all the plastic valence off it would look alright. Or do you think it would be best to just trim holes of some sort

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would trim the valance to allow the hooks to be used but mess around with the valance before you cut it.....

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but if you go out and dont have the hooks yet, make sure your tow strap has a hook on it. the front part of the frame has holes that will fit perfect in there. and as for the rear hook it on the hitch, but not the ball.