How to auto-lock car when walking away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cris

Reaction score
I'm used to parking the Expedition inside the garage and not locking it at night. I have a home gym now and the car won't fit in the garage. We park it in the driveway at night, but I forget to lock it.

My wife gets on my case every time because someone could open our garage door from the car and come into the house.

How can I enable the car to lock itself after a period of time?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm used to parking the Expedition inside the garage and not locking it at night. I have a home gym now and the car won't fit in the garage. We park it in the driveway at night, but I forget to lock it.

My wife gets on my case every time because someone could open our garage door from the car and come into the house.

There is no way to do this on any Expedition. You can press the 3 raised ridges on the handle, press the lock button on the fob, or use the app.

OP
OP
C

Cris

Reaction score
There is no way to integrate the new Alexa smart feature with something like IFTTT?

Like when I'm at x address and parked for x minutes?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no way to integrate the new Alexa smart feature with something like IFTTT?

Like when I'm at x address and parked for x minutes?
The skill I don’t believe can be scheduled. Honestly never tried.

I just hit the 3 ridges or press the lock button on the remote…really isn’t hard.

Plati

Reaction score
I agree that this is not an available feature.

Good idea though, there are patents that claim this feature.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you forgot and left the fob inside; you could either hit the two last buttons (7-8 & 9-0) on the touchpad or open the door, hit the lock button, and close the door. Easiest way is to condition yourself to hit the round button on the fob every time you walk away from the vehicle--there are just too many "opportunists" around any more. Late at night/or very early morning in our vicinity, there are thieves that walk from house to house checking the doors on any parked cars while their driver waits in the getaway car with the lights out and motor idling. Somehow they're even able to get into some of the gated neighborhoods too. Hardly a week goes by without multiple posts on the Nextdoor app.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Can't do it.

I know it's frustrating since every vehicle I've owned since 2016 did it.

You'll need to adjust your habits or research an aftermarket security system.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What vehicles auto lock themselves? I have never seen that before? Seems like a cool feature! My brother has his house set to autolock the front door, its a huge pain in the ****. I walk out to grab a tool out of my jeep and by the time I walk back up the freaking door is locked on me.

Reaction score
A tangent from the original question because it has been properly answered...

The fact that you CAN lock your Expi with the keys in it is an amazing feature. I am amazed that it seems to be a Ford only feature. Patented?

We bike, ski, hike etc with friends and I love that I can leave the keys in the vehicle, push the bottom two buttons as mentioned above and walk away. My wife or any other friend with our code can retrieve the vehicle if needed. Everyone else we play with has to hide a key or carry a key. There is routinely times where the needed key gets left in another shuttle vehicle or people end up waiting for the person with the key to arrive before they can access or retrieve that vehicle. Props to Ford for this feature.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A tangent from the original question because it has been properly answered...

The fact that you CAN lock your Expi with the keys in it is an amazing feature. I am amazed that it seems to be a Ford only feature. Patented?

We bike, ski, hike etc with friends and I love that I can leave the keys in the vehicle, push the bottom two buttons as mentioned above and walk away. My wife or any other friend with our code can retrieve the vehicle if needed. Everyone else we play with has to hide a key or carry a key. There is routinely times where the needed key gets left in another shuttle vehicle or people end up waiting for the person with the key to arrive before they can access or retrieve that vehicle. Props to Ford for this feature.
THIS^^^. such a great feature none of my other vehicles can do.