How to change O2 sensor 1st edition Expedition/F150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've got +190k on the original O2 sensors in my '01....still not throwing any codes but I should probably change them

RonB1964

Reaction score
I just changed mine. Was able to do it through the wheel wells. I used a heavy duty o2 sensor tool connected to a swivel and long extension. Fairly easy.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually cut the wire off or break off the end so I can put a regular 6 point deepwell on there to really crank out the old one.
I don't recommend doing that to the new one though. Lol

Wal92tt

Reaction score
The passenger side top o2 sensor snapped while I tried in vain to remove it with a tool from Autozone! I've found it's impossible to remove it on my 99 Exp 5.4 4x4! There's no way to get any force applied or more than an inch of movement! I gave up about two months ago. This week it will be towed to a trans shop to have the pump seal replaced. I don't remember but will there be room enough to remove it with the trans dropped?

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find myself lucky, as all of my o2 sensors need only PB Blaster and a wrench with hardly any struggle to getting them out through the wheel wells. Now, the oil filter adapter...? That's a different beast.

Last edited: