How to disable outside mirror lights with rear liftgate open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
Anyone been to a drive in with the rear lift gate open and no way to turn the outside mirror lights off?

Just thought I would throw this question out there... I've spent the entire time being that guy at the drive in who can't figure out how to shut these damn lights off.

I forgot the black electrical tape or that would have been my short term go to.... had nothing to cover up the lights either..

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've experienced the same, even does it if just the rear glass is open. I slept in the back of the expedition and wanted to keep the glass open through the night. I haven't found a way to do it, I think the tape will have to be the answer.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my vehicle, which is the prior generation, the only way to turn off the lights with the tailgate open is physically manipulate the tailgate lock to the closed position. This tricks the vehicle into thinking the tailgate is closed, and it will turn off the lights. The downside is that you have to remember to unlock the latch before trying to close the gate, and you have to manually close the hatch because the vehicle will think it's already closed. I killed my battery once by leaving the tailgate open for several hours. It's a stupid design from Ford if you ask me. They should've just put a toggle switch for all lights in the hatch.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A friend has an adapter on his F150 that when plugged into OBD port that disabled the lights. I don't have the details. he uses it when camping.