How to know if load leveling suspension in 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
The load leveling shocks are great. If you don’t have them and are serious about getting them, do it. Whether it’s for towing or not they’re a great option either way.

What I need to do is mount a cargo platform on the hitch receiver. The load and carrier will weigh about 370# and the center of gravity of that combination will be about 24” behind the vehicle. I can calculate how the weight on the front and rear tires will change if I have the car weighed.

Here’s where it gets trickier. I will be towing the Expedition behind my motorhome so the engine won’t be running. Does it have to be running? How does the load leveling suspension work?

scsbronco

Reaction score
Can you tell by looking at the shocks? I have a 2017 EL with HD tow package 3.73 gears and trailer brakes.

JoJoDaClown

Reaction score
The image that was posted on page 1 is the active control suspension, which is not the same as the Nivomat Load Leveling suspension. It's difficult to tell visually when they're installed, if they are standard or Nivomat. Your shock should have a part label on it that you can cross reference online. My Nivomat shock has the number EL14-18W002-NNA, which cross references to a Ford EL1Z-18125-A PN.

OP
OP
E

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
The image that was posted on page 1 is the active control suspension, which is not the same as the Nivomat Load Leveling suspension. It's difficult to tell visually when they're installed, if they are standard or Nivomat. Your shock should have a part label on it that you can cross reference online. My Nivomat shock has the number EL14-18W002-NNA, which cross references to a Ford EL1Z-18125-A PN.

Thanks for the info. Can you explain the difference in the two suspensions?