How to Manually get the Transmission into 6th gear under 40mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skywagon

Reaction score
My Expedition is a 2014 and I really like the car as well as the 2005 that I had.
But there are times, I want to get it into high gear early. Mine, like most, with light throttle will shift into high at about 40mph.
I live in a town that is basically flat and with most speeds of 35mph. If I am first in the lane, I can ease it up to 40 and get it to shift. If I am not first, then we crawl along about 35-39 and it stays in a lower gear.
Being electronically controlled, I am hoping a tranny guru has figured out which circuit controls this up shift and maybe a simple switch installed would command the trans to up shift say at 36-39 mph when pressed.
Any gurus out there that have figured the controls out. . .??

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a guru, just an old Moose! You might and I say might be able to retrain your 6r80 which is what I believe you have. You'll have to disconnect battery, let it sit for 25 minutes or so, reconnect, then drive it, trying to make it shift early by light throttling it. Although I wouldn't recommend it. You should have a clutch for 6th gear not a band. Lugging an engine is not a good thing. It puts stress on connecting rods, and piston skirts. Not to mention the clutch plates for that top gear. Imo, I'd say don't bother, and enjoy your SUV just the way it is. You've got 2 more gears than mine does to begin with, and my old tank shifts just fine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

skywagon

Reaction score
Thanks Moose for the reply. This engine and 6 speed trans work together very smooth. I don't think the 6th gear gives any more top ratio than your 4; just fills in the spaces in between. I am sure that it was designed to get past the EPA standards and mpg usage cops. At 38 mph and light throttle, it seems to be begging to go into top gear....;)

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Why are you trying to force an up shift? The transmission is electronically matched to engine revs and speed. Lugging an engine is hard on the bottom end. You transmission will be constantly and annoyingly down shifting, every time you press the gas(something most people hate). Your 6r80 is actually a 4sp with 2 overdrives. It has an adaptive learning feature. It will alter shift patterns for granny drivers or lead foots. A battery disconnect, followed by horn blast(to drain remaining power), will reset it. If your worried about saving gas or hypermiling, you bought the wrong vehicle. Keep the AC and DEF off, inflate your tires to 37psi, consolidate your trips and avoid idling. That may save a buck or two.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gezz. Around town on the '16 I lock out 5 & 6...better for the engine and transmission. On all the others I lock out OD unless on the highways.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
My Expedition is a 2014 and I really like the car as well as the 2005 that I had.
But there are times, I want to get it into high gear early. Mine, like most, with light throttle will shift into high at about 40mph.
I live in a town that is basically flat and with most speeds of 35mph. If I am first in the lane, I can ease it up to 40 and get it to shift. If I am not first, then we crawl along about 35-39 and it stays in a lower gear.
Being electronically controlled, I am hoping a tranny guru has figured out which circuit controls this up shift and maybe a simple switch installed would command the trans to up shift say at 36-39 mph when pressed.
Any gurus out there that have figured the controls out. . .??

I'd say you'll be lugging it in 6th below 40 MPH... unless you're running a really high ratio in the rear end.