How to optimize MPG - thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie Lohr

Reaction score
I have a 2019 XLT w/Tow Package (non max). With the factory tires I was getting 14.7 MPG combine highway/city. I have since put on 275/70/18 (which look awesome BTW and fit stock on factory rims with no rubbing) and I am still getting around 14.7. I give the back story to say the tires didn’t have a hug impact but I knew that wouldn’t help.

What I would like to know is what can be done to optimize my gas mileage so I am getting the best distance for my buck. Below is my initial thoughts but would love to know others thoughts as well.

-premium full (one test tank MPG was 16.5 but driving conditions where favorable)
-Eco mode (I typically use it)
-synthetic oil??
-Good tire pressure (running at 50 psi now)
-others??

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving habits would be the biggest impact. Wifey's '18 Max is getting 17.5 in mixed but she drives very conservatively. Average goes down noticeably the rare times I get to drive.

Her = Eco
Him = Boost

Can't have both at the same time.

That being said, if you are driving conservatively, then your MPG does sound low.

John JJW

Reaction score
Drove from San Felipe to Mexicali, Baja, Mx. 2019 FX4 w/ HD tow package. Cruise set at 65mph, roundtrip 23mpg. I get 20 average with mixed driving. We do not have ethanol in the fuel here, so that helps. Around town I coast to a stop, instead of using brakes, no jack rabbit starts.

Plati

Reaction score
I have a 2019 XLT w/Tow Package (non max). With the factory tires I was getting 14.7 MPG combine highway/city. I have since put on 275/70/18 (which look awesome BTW and fit stock on factory rims with no rubbing) and I am still getting around 14.7. I give the back story to say the tires didn’t have a hug impact but I knew that wouldn’t help.

What I would like to know is what can be done to optimize my gas mileage so I am getting the best distance for my buck. Below is my initial thoughts but would love to know others thoughts as well.

-premium full (one test tank MPG was 16.5 but driving conditions where favorable)
-Eco mode (I typically use it)
-synthetic oil??
-Good tire pressure (running at 50 psi now)
-others??
Premium gas? Run the numbers but probably costs more overall than regular due to higher per gallon cost offsetting and mpg increase

Don't think synthetic oil buys you additional mpg, don't have facts on that but IMHO

Running at 50psi wrong thing to do unless you have E rated LT tires. Less safe and bad wear pattern on tires. Isnt that above the tire rating on P tires?

You bought an expensive vehicle. You obviously can afford the gas and aren't concerned about carbon emission (which is fine with me). Drive and enjoy.

Less boost more eco

Others. Drive like there is a raw egg between your foot & gas pedal. Don't let car idle too long before driving.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you bought a 6,000-lb truck for fuel economy, you probably bought it for the wrong reasons. MPG will fluctuate due to driving habits, type of driving, etc. 14-17mpg in city/urban areas seems fair. We average about 15 in the city, 21 on highway.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to try and feather the gas as much as possible. On starts, take off easy, and then let off way before you need brakes and try not to apply brakes if you can coast and still maintain a safe speed (someone turning in front of you). The cruise control kills at least 2 full MPG on mine. Every hill it goes down, its slamming on brakes or downshifting or whatever it does to scrub speed and thats all wasted fuel. Coast down every hill, accelerate on the way down the hill and let is slow down on the way up the next hill, etc.
I've got a 4x4 Tow Pack Max and I drove it very conservatively on a 120 mile round trip and it would make 25.5 mpg on non ethanol premium fuel going 60-62 mph on mostly all highway with a few stops and passing a few slower cars. It wasn't a fun drive, but it was an economical drive. I wanted to test it, so I knew what it was capable of.
Mines life average mpg right now is 18.3 mpg and it gets a lot of idle time waiting to pick my kids up from school and stuff. Idle kills mpg because you are averaging ZERO into your average.
In town, mine sucks fuel and drops to like 15mpg, so don't expect to do real well in town unless you can find a better way! lol

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
I drive normally, little differently than I did in my GT and I'm get just over 17mpg mixed after 800 miles. 2019 FX4. I don't think you need to be overly conservative to get that level of MPG, but I do think that driving aggressively even infrequently will severely reduce your MPG quick fast and in a hurry.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wheel weight is obviously a factor. Those 22's weigh a lot. I would be curious what the weight of your 18's vs the 22's are. Also, just use premium. You get the "benefit" of all those horses...