HOW TO: Self Test for Speed Control sytem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeebot

Reaction score
Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING:
This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.

1. Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. FIVE ADDITIONAL FLASHES AT THIS POINT INDICATE A DEFECTIVE SPEED CONTROL SERVO. Release the OFF switch.

2. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.

IF THE "ON" SWITCH IS NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN FIVE SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE DIAGNOSTICS MODE, THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED OVER.

The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.

3. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.

If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

— 2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

— 3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.

4. Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the THROTTLE RETURNS BACK TO IDLE POSITION.

Woodman

Reaction score
2000 Expedition intermittent cruise control

I ran the self test and the first few times I got no response from the resume -coast - set/accel switch. I moved the wheel to a different position, then reran the test, all worked fine. The turn signals work or don't work intermittently. Moving the tilt of the wheel gets them working again. I think there is a wiring issue in the column. Any ideas how to repair this issue?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take off the cover, and inspect the wires. I think there's usually some that are chaffed. If there isn't, I'd probably move the steering wheel to where the blinkers work, turn on one of the blinkers, and move the wheel downwards to where they don't work any more. Start moving wires around until they start working again.

pbrooks

Reaction score
Hi everyone, quick probably stupid question. I ran the CC test and it says the deactivator switch/circuit is defective. Where is the switch? Thanks for your help.

Phil

tbsexp

Reaction score
my cruise does not work in the 98 i just bought, ran the test and i don't get anything , is there supposed to be a light on the cluster that turns on ? are there any fuses that are only for cruise? all other systems/accessories work fine

scottsbro23

Reaction score
Just ran the test on the wifes 03' Eddie B. After pressing "Off" and turning the key to "ON" then 1 flash followed by 5 additional flashes, released "Off" and pressed "ON" and got a flash. I did not get any other flashes after that (yes completed the sequence). Is it bad switches? If so are the "Switches" the actual buttons on the steering wheel?
Also, the 1st time I ran the test I forgot to engage the parking brake...after turning the key to "On and pressing off" the light blinked 10 times (I released the Off, so don't know if it would have kept blinking) is that normal?

As far as the 5 additional blinks is it a slow blink?

Thanks.

dgrammer2

Reaction score
We have more questions than answers and it has been over ten years since anyone posted here. I did the best I could with the info zeebot posted at the top of this thread and went on to a kind of "HOW TO VERIFY IT IS REALLY WORKING" after having REPLACED the switch units on the steering wheel. This is October 2021 and I have the following: removing switches from stering column:
My write up of the experience:
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
Cruise Control testing.

This info or portions of it copied from expeditionforum.com

How to: Self Test for Speed Control System
dated: 9/6/2010 by zeebot a member

Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING:
This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.

1. Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making
sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once
to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. FIVE ADDITIONAL FLASHES AT THIS POINT INDICATE
A DEFECTIVE SPEED CONTROL SERVO. Release the OFF switch.

2. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.

IF THE "ON" SWITCH IS NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN FIVE SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE DIAGNOSTICS MODE,
THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED OVER.

The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence
immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.

3. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not
flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.

If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

— 2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

— 3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.

4. Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the
throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle
pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of
speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the THROTTLE RETURNS BACK TO IDLE POSITION.

********************* Time for some real world story now. *************************

I replaced both left and right side switch units and ran the self test which seemed to pass when done correctly.
HOWEVER, I now know why they say to have parking break set. If sitting in drivers seat and right foot on the accelerator, the pedal will
slap the bottom of your shoe when the test is complete. That's the throttle movement.
They say don't start the engine just have the key in the on position. GOOD PLAN as I don't hear well and ran the test again with
the motor running. YEAH! IT WORKED (TEST). Fortunately I was in PARK gear and went no where when the engine accelerated.

BE MORE CAREFUL and run it with the engine off and the park break set.

Still the cruise control dashboard light would only come on in the SELF TEST MODE. I thought it must be something else until
I remembered the cruise control only works when going over 30 mph.

Hit the road to 30 mph and hit the ON switch but still no cruise control icon/light on the dash. Fiddled with it a bit and determined:
If you last pressed OFF then pressing set does nothing.
If you last pressed OFF then pressing on only enables the set button to work. YOU GET NO DASH LIGHT.
BUT when you press set button now the dash light pops on and you maintain speed.