How to tell if a cam phaser has had the lock up mod done to it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought this 2007 truck and I am totally against those phaser mods. I will remove it and do it right if there is a way to tell without taking it apart.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No not really. The lockout pieces install into the phaser behind the rear plate. Have to remove Phaser and take it apart to see. Why are you against the Cam Phaser Lockout?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No not really. The lockout pieces install into the phaser behind the rear plate. Have to remove Phaser and take it apart to see. Why are you against the Cam Phaser Lockout?

The phaser lock-outs are generally frowned upon for a few reasons. The lockouts themselves don’t harm the engine besides robbing it’s top end power. The problem with the lock-outs is that they mask potential oil pressure issues and therefore can help silently destroy the engine. The VCT phasers are a robust design and when they are causing knocking noises or out of time conditions it’s due to low oil pressure or other underlying causes, they are the symptom not the problem. This is how the 3V engines let techs know there is a problem in the first place, masking this is no good. One of the primary reasons VCT was added to the 5.4 3V engines besides lowered emissions was the ability to retard the cams at higher revs which adds top end power, something the old 2V lacked. Locking out the VCT removes most of this advantage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know where they go, I was a mechanic. They help low and high end power and give better gas mileage. People that pawn the little kits off as cure for the "nasty VCT's" know this and all they want is a few bucks for the "fix".

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, I see it from your side of things. I repaired my sister's 2007. New timing set (used the old phasers), Melling Oil Pump etc.. It was running so bad that it couldn't get out of it's own way. Phaser's were knocking etc. I found one of the screens on the VCT to be damaged. Anyhow I put the lockout kit and SCT Tuner in there at the same time. It's been just over two years with trouble free driving.
I've had great luck with it, as this thing is a family hauler, not a trailer puller. So if we lost any top end power, it isn't noticed. Also haven't noticed any noticeable drop in MPG's, but we don't keep track of it anyways.

I agree it's not for everyone, but I've had good success with a lockout kit.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, I see it from your side of things. I repaired my sister's 2007. New timing set (used the old phasers), Melling Oil Pump etc.. It was running so bad that it couldn't get out of it's own way. Phaser's were knocking etc. I found one of the screens on the VCT to be damaged. Anyhow I put the lockout kit and SCT Tuner in there at the same time. It's been just over two years with trouble free driving.
I've had great luck with it, as this thing is a family hauler, not a trailer puller. So if we lost any top end power, it isn't noticed. Also haven't noticed any noticeable drop in MPG's, but we don't keep track of it anyways.

I agree it's not for everyone, but I've had good success with a lockout kit.
Low and high end power plus less MPGs. OK if you don't mind but that's not for me.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lockouts don’t kill low end power, only top end power. The 5.4L 3V camphasers resting or “off” position is at full advance, the phasers only retard the cams from this position. Retarding the cams has two main benefits, under low load conditions this can reduce emissions and fuel consumption. Retarding the cams to the maximum retard position under WOT (Wide Open Throttle) increases horsepower in the upper revs. Think about the old days where you had to swap cams for a particular build. A plain advanced cam brings about more low end torque, but robs high end power. A retarded cam loses low end torque but increases top end horsepower. The Camphasers on our 5.4 3V engines serve the purpose of reducing emissions and gas consumption at low loads and increasing horsepower at high loads. Think of the 5.4 3V as having a slightly advanced cam by old day standards that has the ability to retard 60 degrees. Hence why cam swaps aren’t needed or common place these days.

Last edited:

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The whole " lockout " option has me confused. Im at 130,000 on my 2007 . Change oil regularly etc. "If" my phasers go *****, would she go another 300,000 instead of another 130,000+ .?

If my phasers went tommorow, id probably replace all timing stuff. If that buys me another 130,000, I would be happy.

Im just not sure what financial gain is made with lockouts, because, there is a performance loss guaranteed.
5 star doesnt carry a lockout kit, but, they are focused on improving performance not degrading it.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lockouts don’t kill low end power, only top end power. The 5.4L 3V camphasers resting or “off” position is at full advance, the phasers only retard the cams from this position. Retarding the cams has two main benefits, under low load conditions this can reduce emissions and fuel consumption. Retarding the cams to the maximum retard position under WOT (Wide Open Throttle) increases horsepower in the upper revs. Think about the old days where you had to swap cams for a particular build. A plain advanced cam brings about more low end torque, but robs high end power. A retarded cam loses low end torque but increases top end horsepower. The Camphasers on our 5.4 3V engines serve the purpose of reducing emissions and gas consumption at low loads and increasing horsepower at high loads. Think of the 5.4 3V as having a slightly advanced cam by old day standards that has the ability to retard 60 degrees. Hence why cam swaps aren’t needed or common place these days.
Right, a lot of innovations were "robbed" from drag racers etc over the years like fuel injection, superchargers, turbochargers, roller tappets, forged pistons, ram induction, simi headers, and they went a step farther with added valves in the heads, advancing cams, one coil per hole, air-fuel ratio management, overhead cams, multi speed transmissions, etc. But the cam advance isn't the same as switching cams, it's just a trade off but it beats no advance at all. I was assuming the 5.4 cam timing was altered by the VTC at low RPMs but I am glad to hear that's not the case.