how to tell in are in 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you switch to 4x4 you will get an amber light on the dashboard showing 4x4 high or 4x4 low.

Plati

Reaction score
how to tell you are in 4x4
You dont say which 4x4 mode so thats one thing. There is a way to lift the front wheels off the ground and turn one by hand and see something happen or not happen. Its too complicated for me! Yes you can observe the display and the Expy will inform you about what mode it thinks its in but it may not be working too. I ran a test the other day on a snow covered parking lot. From a dead stop ... put it in 2WD ... then accelerate (enough to spin wheels, nothing crazy) and see how it performs. Then put in an AWD or 4WD mode and repeat, you should be able to observe a noticeable difference. If in 4LO on dry pavement , front wheels will bind and jump if turning. Not advised but it IS a test. In summer you could back up the rear wheels onto wet grass with front on dry pavement and step on it. If 2WD then rears should spin and you dont move much.

That kind of thing. Understand (by reading owners manual) and test performance.

Last edited:

vincentrose

Reaction score
Not sure on the 2nd Gen, Mine is a 3rd Gen, this is what I did. When in 2WD mode you should be able to freely turn the front drive shaft by hand and see the front half shafts rotate freely. When in 4WD mode you won't be able to rotate front drive shaft by hand, indicating that it is engaged, however if EITHER the Wheel end hubs or the transfer case are engaged you wont be able to rotate driveshaft so you'll have to jack up front end to get front wheels off the ground to be sure that BOTH the wheel ends and Transfer case are engaged

Last edited:

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In 4W (at least in my 05) you will feel the front wheels binding and releasing if you turn tight on asphalt.

Instead of doing this on asphalt (and risking damage) do the same thing on gravel in 2WD and then do it again in 4WD. You will notice the difference if the 4WD is working.

Now AWD or 4A is a different story.