How to... Torque Wrench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not own a torque wrench and have used one a few times when I was young living at home. I'm getting ready to replace rear struts on my 3rd Gen Expedition and want to do it correctly. I have not got the torque specs yet but will be looking into beg, borrow, or buy a torque wrench.

What do you recommend? Is there a size I should get or multiple? Or can you add adapters to size up or down, depending on nut size?

I'm on the cost-effective end of the spectrum, not the Snap-On end if you are going to recommend specific models.

There are some used on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace locally.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Look for a "click type" Craftsman one on ebay. Make sure it's an older USA-made one, which are very nice tools. Avoid the Craftsman ones made today in Shang-pang-****, which are basically up-priced Harbor Freight junk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-...h=item3b03da9211:g:EHoAAOSwaAxanF2K:rk:9:pf:0

If you buy one, get one for 1/2" sockets rated in foot-lbs. That will serve you for most suspension parts, wheels, manifolds, etc. Now you need a set of 1/2" sockets too.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
I have 2 (different torque ranges) from Harbor Freight.
Have used both many times. They seem to work just fine.
Both "click type". I think the pricier ones have a deform-able bar

Craftsman is not the brand it used to be in my experience.
Took a rusted out ratchet back and they had a box full of them at the counter. How any decent tool company could sell ratchets that rust out inside is beyond me. It was always treated with care.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your not going to use often, why not just do one of the free rentals from O'Reilly or Auto Zone. You put up a credit card deposit, gets refunded back. Personally I only use one on head gaskets and intake manifolds due to their critical torquing technique. I did buy a torque wrench from Napa auto parts for $80.00 about 7 years back. I've had good luck so far. The one that I used to have was a Sears craftsman one from back in the 70's. I wouldn't recommend buying a used one unless you can test it, or has a return policy. If they've been dropped or abused, the reading's could be off.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fiqure out your torque specs 1st. You wouldn't want to buy a 200 ft lbs wrench, if your specs were like 225 lbs! And I'd buy buy a used snap-on, just make sure it's been calibrated recently. If not rent one at auto parts store, and compare them. I was able to get a 250 lb snap-on used for $75.00 on eBay. Last time I rented one, it was $100 deposit. Basically you put down what the tool is worth. That way if you don't bring it back, you own it and the store is out nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much, everyone. Good advice, folks. I realized later today that I could rent one - and given how little I'd need it, it's the way to go. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal, though, as was suggested (USA-made Craftsman or Snap-On used, etc.

mquick5 - I found a write-up on this process on another forum I think and the guy gave the torque specs for some of the connections: from 31 to 350 ft-lbs!

Upper mount nuts - 30
Shock - lower bolt - 350 (might be a mis-print b/c I saw a guy on youtube tighten to 250 ft-lbs.)
Lwr Ball Jnt - 111
Lwr arm to frame - 221

I'm not sure where'd I'd find this information in print from Ford. Haynes?

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I've done work on the past, the local auto parts stores can look up torque specs. If not try and find a service manual. And yeah 350 ft lbs sounds extreme! You'd have to have a good size breaker bar, that's for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The Ford service manual has all the torque specifications. It's a handy manual to have if you can find one on CD on ebay for $30. Otherwise, they're pretty expensive.