How to turn OFF/ON seat belt chime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You can Deactivate the Belt Minder two ways. First, you can deactivate it temporarily for your current "run cycle", that is after you have started your car and it's still running. Second, you completely deactivate the Belt Minder so that it never reminds you again, or at least until your reactivate it...

The first method, temporary deactivation, or one time disable: After you have started your vehicle, buckle and then un-buckle your safety belt. Be sure to buckle back up.... This will disable the Belt Minder only for that ignition cycle.

The second method, permanent deactivation: There are 9 steps you need to follow to deactivate or activate your Belt Minder system. Before doing so, make sure that:
  • The parking brake is set.
  • The truck/car is in Park (automatic), Neutral (manual).
  • The ignition is OFF.
  • All doors are closed.
  • The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
  • The parking and headlights are OFF.
Then follow these 9 steps:

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.
  2. Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!

1. Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
  2. Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.
  3. Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.

1. Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt.
This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

1. Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds.
  2. Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.
  3. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.
--------------------------------------
videos are for F-150 but works on expeditions as well.

2nd gen expys
It worked on my 05 expy

3rd gen expys
Worked on my coworker's 07 expy

I'm an electrician and from time to time I have to service light poles there for I'm in and out of the truck every 50 yards and its the most annoying thing to have the beep going Off continuously

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 98 don't have a chime

The following was copied from the 98 Expedition Owners Manual

Safety belt warning light and

indicator chime

The seat belt warning light

illuminates in the instrument

cluster and a chime sounds to

remind the occupants to fasten

their safety belts.

Safety belt

Momentarily illuminates when the

ignition is turned ON to remind

you to fasten your safety belts. For

more information, refer to the

Seating and safety restraints

chapter.

Does you seat belt illuminate in the instrument cluster??

Last edited:

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know if Ford did this across the board with all models for any particular year... but on my 2000 Ford Windstar, all I have to do is push the red un-buckle button on the seat belt while on the un-latched position and this would stop the seat belt chime for the duration of the (run) cycle. after the key is turned to the off position and back on, the chime would resume warning again

Crazys98eb

Reaction score
The following was copied from the 98 Expedition Owners Manual

Safety belt warning light and

indicator chime

The seat belt warning light

illuminates in the instrument

cluster and a chime sounds to

remind the occupants to fasten

their safety belts.

Safety belt

Momentarily illuminates when the

ignition is turned ON to remind

you to fasten your safety belts. For

more information, refer to the

Seating and safety restraints

chapter.

Does you seat belt illuminate in the instrument cluster??
Not sure I'll have to check

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Not sure but does turning off the chime turns off the air bag deployment if I'm buckled in and I wreck head on? Cause when I programmed it off the air bag symbol blinked rapidly along side the seatbelt symbol?