Howdo I Smoke Test the EVAP System (2005 Expedition)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David E

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Recently got the elusive P0457 (Leak Detected/Fuel Cap loose/off) and after testing the fuel cap using a replacement and replacing the Fuel Pressure sensor switch (at the tank) as well as the Fuel rail pressure and temperature sensor I got nowhere. Still have the code after a drive cycle and wanting to do a smoke test. Made me a small smoke machine out of 5.56 box.. and don't really know where to connect it to. Was hoping someone here can help with connection area and conditions. (engine running vs off.)
Thanks in advance.
2005 Expedition 5.4 3v V8 KR.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello to all,
Recently got the elusive P0457 (Leak Detected/Fuel Cap loose/off) and after testing the fuel cap using a replacement and replacing the Fuel Pressure sensor switch (at the tank) as well as the Fuel rail pressure and temperature sensor I got nowhere. Still have the code after a drive cycle and wanting to do a smoke test. Made me a small smoke machine out of 5.56 box.. and don't really know where to connect it to. Was hoping someone here can help with connection area and conditions. (engine running vs off.)
Thanks in advance.
2005 Expedition 5.4 3v V8 KR.

I may be wrong - but I think the EVAP codes reset takes several drive cycles (with full warm up and cool down), to reset.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vacuum line that comes off the purge control valve runs back to the EVAP system and is easy to access there at the firewall.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"I may be wrong - but I think the EVAP codes reset takes several drive cycles (with full warm up and cool down), to reset."

Either that, or maybe disconnect the battery negative cable for ten minutes to clear the codes. You'll probably lose your seat and radio presets though

71hotrodpinto

Reaction score
Hey David, did you ever resolve this issue ? I have a 2005 and I’ve already replaced the evap valve on the firewall (motorcraft) ands new Ford fuel cap. Still have the codes p0457 and p1450. I’ve searched online everywhere and no one has a definitive solution other than , “check all the lines “

OP
OP
David E

David E

Reaction score
Hey David, did you ever resolve this issue ? I have a 2005 and I’ve already replaced the evap valve on the firewall (motorcraft) ands new Ford fuel cap. Still have the codes p0457 and p1450. I’ve searched online everywhere and no one has a definitive solution other than , “check all the lines “
Hi there. Unfortunately still dealing with the same code. I have replaced the whole sensor assembly that sits on the gas tank. (removed the tank and put a motorcraft sensor with the lines that are attached to it.) So thats not it for me. (may still be the case for you.. I have also replaced the sensor on the engine bay topside and that didnt help as well. Smoke test is next and to see if I can locate the issue. Its leaking somewhere finding it would be the challange. Made my own smoke machine out of an ammo box just have to regulate the pressure on it still then Il try the test. let me know if you figure it out. Il keep posting once I advance some where with that...