HVAC fan intermittently stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Over the last few days...my HVAC fan has intermittently just shut off. Like it went from blowing to like i shut it off. The a/c seems to still be working...it’s just not blowing air. When I shut the vehicle off for a few min...it comes back on like normal.

I recently used the rear a/c when we were traveling this weekend...something I hadn’t ever turned on before. Not sure if this would have anything to do with it.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue? If it was a fuse it wouldn’t come back on. Just odd.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012EL3RDGEN

Reaction score
Go under the dash and find the wires that plug into the fan. Wiggle those while the car is on and ac running if it turns it back on or causes it to go out intermittently then the wires are the issue. This is a common issue and there are replacement harnesses for it online.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go under the dash and find the wires that plug into the fan. Wiggle those while the car is on and ac running if it turns it back on or causes it to go out intermittently then the wires are the issue. This is a common issue and there are replacement harnesses for it online.

You da man.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ford has issued a TSB for several year Expedition models that involve installing a new jumper wire and a new harness connector at the HVAC fan motor connector. I do not have a copy of it.

David Pratt

Reaction score
if it does prove to be the harness/connection, check the resistor it is plugged into as well. When mine went I found the connections on both to be slightly melted. If you need to replace them DON'T get Dorman replacements they don't work. use Motorcraft parts (I found out the hard way).

Calman2k

Reaction score
I had to do this on my 2016 EL XLT. Turns out at the time (only a year ago) Ford had the wrong plug connector listed in their system. The resistor was fine, but the plug spec'd didn't for the resistor. Then to make matters worse, the crimp connectors they had in the pack didn't fit because there were three different wire sizes. So I had to use my own crimp connectors. After I got it changed everything worked fine. And after changing it I had doubts the dealer could have even figured it out, I had to spec the plug and install it against the parts department's recommendation.