HVAC Struggling--03 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rustymacintosh

Reaction score
I have a very nicely kept 4.6 XLT with close to 300k on the dial. I like the vehicle. I had the AC system completely rebuilt. THEN the dash vents went haywire.

I have spent countless hours tracing and checking. I bought a new vac reservoir and vacuum pump. I replaced every vacuum line I could. It holds vacuum but not into the cabin. The vents run defrost and the floor with just a slight amount from the vent. I opened up the glovebox, and with a strong flashlight began to study what this unit is. I was hoping to find something to prop the vents open fully, since it's been 106 plus all month long. That I failed.

I see what appears to be a box, or a blend door type actuator sitting atop the black abs plastic hvac unit that probably has the evaporator in it. I am only assuming, that unit is now DOA.

With the engine running, looking up from the gas pedal as I turn the knob from max to vent to vent/floor there is NO MOVEMENT of any sort. So thinking the dash controls were dead, I bought a known used good unit and swapped it in. Nothing changed.

Any ideas now other than paying a shop $$$ to rip the dash out and replace everything they can get their hands on?