Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 - First Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey all, As I have hinted to in a few threads I have been testing a new Tuner Option available to us.

It is the Hypertech Max Energy 2.0. The tuner itself has been around for a short while, the new part is there are now tunes for the Explorer and Expedition available now.

Full disclosure, I was contacted by HyperTech to do Beta Testing at a discounted rate for the Tuner. I did early production testing, but bought the Tuner at full price. By the way it is $349 on Amazon right now, but has bounced around in price...I picked it up for $289.

Wife has been Running the 87 Tune with Street Shift, Throttle, and Firmness selections for several weeks. She is happy. I also used it to adjust the warning for TPMS to a higher number, because I want to know sooner. It will adjust for Tire size, and many other things.

I did some testing with 93 in the tank, and the 93 tune with all of the different shift, throttle and firmness settings at Street, Sport, Tow, and Performance. Tow would be real nice with a load. Held the gear better than the regular tow haul, and used engine braking really well. Didn't really like the Performance and Sport options in general, just didn't feel right in the big Expy, street was a aggressive enough, but still smooth like the Expy should be.

87 vs 93, not worth the extra 50-80 cents per gallon. You can feel the difference significantly with the 87 Tune, jump to 93, is just a small change. You feel it, but only when WOT.

Here is the dyno chart...and you can see why the 93 tune is a smaller change.

http://www.hypertech.com/Performanc...edition_3.5L_GTDI_V6_4Fuel_Gasoline_MAX20.pdf

The cool thing is you can adjust individual shift points, and Choose Street for throttle, Sport for Firmness, and Performance for Shift points, so you could play and tweak.

I love my LMS tuner on my Edge, and was considering them for my Expy. For $250 less, and I get options and adjustments, I am VERY Happy. Probably not as much power, but it makes this big beast REALLY FUN, even with the 87 tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Few more comments. The actual programming process is smoother with the LMS tuner, but the Hypertech does the job, you just need to pay attention to the prompts.

Also, the Hypertech updates via an app on your PC, just return to stock, then plug in to PC and update after downloading program from Hypertech website.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much effect does it actually have on shift firmness? I have an SCT with a custom tune and the shift pressure set at +25% and it still feels like someone rowing a three-on-the-tree to me.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shift pressure and shift speed are not always the same thing. Shifts are definitely quicker.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I've learned to my dismay. Lol
My '13 F-150 with the 5.0 had the exact same trans and would lay 25 feet of rubber going into second and bark going into 3rd gear despite the same tires and 3.55 gearing instead of my current 3.73s.
I thought perhaps it was a form of torque management during the shifts causing the slow and relatively soft shifting, but this makes me wonder if my tune just didn't alter the trans programming like the one on my F-150 did.
Guess the wife's truck will be getting an upgrade for Christmas.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5 Star Tuning via Stage 3 Motorsports. I got their 87 Economy, 93 Perf/Tow, and 93 Performance tunes.
I would (and should) have questioned it when I got the tunes installed, but I thought the EB vehicles had a torque management system that choked off the engine during shifts and that was the reason the shifts were so much different. My F-150 stock shifted harder than my Expy does tuned.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I take it this leaves a footprint in the ECM that you have flashed it?

Yes, just like LMS, SCT, and any other programmer. It is not that they leave a footprint, but that the ECM records last time flashed. You can infer from that, that a programmer was used.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm curious...since they appear to be posting BHP numbers....how do they surmise a 59HP increase over stock at 346HP when Stock is listed at 327HP? I know I learned old math but that's a 19 point delta every time I subtract it. Anyone?

Other than that bit of criticism, it looks to be pretty good for the cost. It may not be 100% intuitive but with tunable facets at a lower cost...many would likely sacrifice a small amount of ease compared to the offerings of LMS.

jeff

edit---I reexamined the dyno and see how they are getting their numbers but I might point out....in day to day driving, 5000 rpm is a lot....BUT the benefits of this shine between 3500 & 5000!