I could use your help on this one guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok my wifes 02 honda odyssey 3.5L v6, she went to the doctor's office for a scheduled visit, when she came out the van would crank barely but wont start, at the time I was at a job site 300 miles away so I had her jump start the car with my sister's car and she said after the jump it started it and started running, great now my suspects are battery and/or alternator! Anyways she called me back saying the power steering is stiff and so is the brake pedal!

Ok so I called the local enterprise car rental, told them she needs a expedition/suburban or a minivan cause she has to fit 5 car seats in it, so they go to her location with an 2018 expedition and the driver transfers all the car seats over and he secured them properly too (I gave that kid a $200 tip for doing that) anyways she left the van at the doctors office and went on with her day, I took an emergency leave at work and drove back to her car's location,I get to the car thinking well she jump started it earlier and it ran for a few minutes so I'm suspecting alternators or battery,

So I took both off and took them to a local car part shop, they tested both the battery and alternator and both failed.... great news to me as I felt those were my prime suspects so I bought a new (not remanufactured) alternator and a 900cca AGM battery ( her van required a minimum of 550cca)......... go to start the van after installation and it would keep cranking almost turning over by faxing out last second and not turning over,

Ok so then I thought either an electrical gremlin or fuel pump, I left the ignition on and pulled the fuel pump fuse out then reinserted it, heard the fuel pump relay click... tried to start the car and it started up just fine... yayeeee I was excited it's running but ******** curiosity took over and I wanted to see of it'll turn on again if I shut it off..... well bad luck chuck it wont start again... it'll crank but wont start

Ok so now I'm messing around with the fuses,replaced both the fuse and verified the fuel pump relay are both working (fuse had 0.0 continuity & relay had 0.0 ohms on all Normally closed contacts, then again 0.0 ohms in all normally open contacts when ignition is on run cycle)

I tried to further troubleshoot the issue but it started raining so God mother ******* hard I just couldn't keep working on it. However at that point I realized the "pre-run" or "fuel pump prime" beeping had disappeared..... it would go from accessory to run and not a single beep would be heard, 10 minutes before I F'ed around with the fuses I was clearly able to hear that noise (three mid length beeps followed by a long fourth beep, indicating its ready to start! Anyways the rain was so hard coming down that That's when I called a tow truck to relieve me of my misery and take this POS minivan home, so now the 2002 honda odyssey w/ 141k on it wont start sitting on the driveway...

I spent and hour after I got it towed to transfer over 5... yea that's right FIVE car seats over to the expedition since I only kept it as a back up for when my wifes minivan... excuse me my wifes minishit failed, so now shes using the expedition until I can figure out what the hell went wrong with hers!

So with that said... do you have any clue what it might be? I'm gonna perform a fuel pressure test tomorrow after work to see if the fuel pump took a shit at the same amazing time as the alternator and battery did but I'm doubtful that's the actual issue on hand....?????????????

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Almost sounds like anti theft issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
The keys are chipped but security light disappears after a few seconds of inserting key into ignition, I kinda ruled out anti theft due to that fact that it started prior to me fussing around the fuses like a 5 year old in a candy store

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Why would you throw money at a 2002?

I like living life debt free.... it keeps me young, it keeps me happy, keeps my focus on my children not my wallet, the car is been good to me all these years, I have far more to show for thanks to the tremendous amounts of money saved owning this car this long!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Besides the pump test, do like our past buddy used to say, do it the lazy way, shoot a 2 second spray into the throttle body, and see if you get the quick start and die. I'm thinking though, with your battery and alternator taking a dump, something wacky might have happened to the electrical system. Are you sure that Honda doesn't have some sort of reflash or something, like the Expedition? It's worth making a few phone calls around to Honda specific shops to find out.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Ive see voltage regulators in alternators die causing a high voltage which cooks the electronics and batteries. Maybe that was the issue and it cooked the FP.. I would definitely check your fuel pressure to start and go from there.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As Moose says, back to basics. Forget the high-tech stuff for now. Check for fuel delivery and spark. Fuel pressure test? Spray? Or press the Schrader valve on the fuel line and see if it's pressurized. Crank and check for spark. Take it from there.

----

Good for you for not falling into the debt-trap. Instead of borrowing to buy new cars, I bought rental houses. Raised five kids, retired at 50 debt-free and never looked back. You're a smart guy.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still stuck on the 5 car seats! Do you have multiples? I'm a father of 10 yr old triplet boy's. Couldn't imigine 5 car seats. What row do you fit 3 in? Or can you fit 3 in both the 2nd and 3rd row?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Property rarely goes down, car values do, and quick. Not to mention the write offs on rental properties. People in the Bay area that jumped into real estate back in the 70's/80's are fat cats now. Me, when my ship came in, I was at the airport!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk