I did it... Bought the beast! Makes my Expy look small!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I did it, I bought myself an Excursion! It's a 2003 Eddie Bauer 6.0 diesel, and let me tell you, it's a BEAST! Way quicker than I would have imagined for being so Damn heavy and big. Will be time to sell my Expedition in a few weeks. Sorry to see it go, but this one has been nightmare after nightmare!

P_20191116_135638_vHDR_Auto.jpg

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully the 6.0 has been bulletproofed or your nightmare is gonna continue.

They only need bulletproofed if they have had a tuner on them, or have been dogged hard. This one doesn't show any of that. I have checked everything before I bought it. The deltas are within 8° of each other, the HPOP is really good, turbo operates as it should, vanes open and close properly, etc. It never had a brake controller mounted in it, so mounting mine took some effort getting the factory harness out of the stock location up under the dash.

6.0's get alot of criticism, they aren't as bad as people think they are. There are MANY of them on the road without having any issue, as long as you do proper maintenance they will take care of you. But yes, if you don't do the due diligence of checking them and making sure everything is as it should be they will cause you all.sorts of trouble.

Stepcajun

Reaction score
Hopefully you got a good one,
I would consider doing a egr delete kit asap,
I've put about 180000 miles on mine, maintenance is vital, but when everything is working it's a beast.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I did it, I bought myself an Excursion! It's a 2003 Eddie Bauer 6.0 diesel, and let me tell you, it's a BEAST! Way quicker than I would have imagined for being so Damn heavy and big. Will be time to sell my Expedition in a few weeks. Sorry to see it go, but this one has been nightmare after nightmare!

View attachment 33279

YEAH BABY!!! The Excursions are BEASTS!!!
I have two of them! I really thought they had the powerstroke 7.3 but all mine have the 6.8 V10.

Same power empty or WAY fully loaded!

I'm parting a white 2001 with cloth int out (and I'm your neighbor in Ohio) if you need any parts but you are probably all set.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YEAH BABY!!! The Excursions are BEASTS!!!
I have two of them! I really thought they had the powerstroke 7.3 but all mine have the 6.8 V10.

Same power empty or WAY fully loaded!

I'm parting a white 2001 with cloth int out (and I'm your neighbor in Ohio) if you need any parts but you are probably all set.

I do need a few parts. Right now I need the switches for the far back windows that open a few inches, if that makes sense? They are mounted in the overhead console. And, if you have a set of tow mirrors, I need them too. How are the front seats in yours?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do need a few parts. Right now I need the switches for the far back windows that open a few inches, if that makes sense? They are mounted in the overhead console. And, if you have a set of tow mirrors, I need them too. How are the front seats in yours?
Front seats are cloth and in great condition. I can take some picture.
It does not have Tow Mirrors just a standard full-size mirrors that are a lot like an expedition. I do have the switches from the top control panel and the whole overhead console. Have to see what all comes apart.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I sure miss mine! Best truck I ever owned. Raised five kids with it.

And a tip -- There are inner front wheel bearings on the axle shafts that nobody knows about and don't show on the parts drawings. If the front starts making noises, look for them. And keep those %$#& vacuum hubs cleaned, rebuilt and lubricated, keep the vacuum hub seals fresh and they'll always work fine.

I found the Hawk brakes and DBA rotors to be the only ones that didn't quickly give problems.

Sure do miss that truck.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sure miss mine! Best truck I ever owned. Raised five kids with it.

And a tip -- There are inner fromt wheel bearings that nobody knows about and don't show on the parts drawings. If the front starts making noises, look for them. And keep those %$#& vacuum hubs cleaned, rebuilt and lubricated, keep the vacuum hub seals fresh and they'll always work fine.

Sure do miss that truck.
Both of mine were two wheel drive so no hidden bearings just a standard gigantic rotor with the Hub built in with the inner and outer wheel bearing.
They are awesome vehicles and there are still plenty of nice clean condition even low mile ones around. Well, maybe not plenty but still a lot. But they sure do go for more money than the expeditions.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I have a 2WD too, so no issues with hubs. I love the thing so far! It's a pleasure to drive and has way more nuts than my Expedition has! I have the window sticker too from when it was new, was 49 and change! Damn!!