I did it... Bought the beast! Makes my Expy look small!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At only 4,500 pounds with no airbags or seatbelts any of today’s SUVs or larger sedans would be much safer than an old Lincoln Cosmopolitan. Cool car sure, but not safer. I’d much rather be in a 2019 Lincoln Continental if we were going to crash the two into each other....with my seatbelt on. Emotions aren’t going to stop the cab from closing in.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At only 4,500 pounds with no airbags or seatbelts any of today’s SUVs or larger sedans would be much safer than an old Lincoln Cosmopolitan. Cool car sure, but not safer. I’d much rather be in a 2019 Lincoln Continental if we were going to crash the two into each other....with my seatbelt on. Emotions aren’t going to stop the cab from closing in.
No doubt. Even if the car didn't get that damaged up just the fact of you being slammed into the steering wheel and the steel Dash and the windshield frame and the hard roof would mess you up badly.
My argument with people arguing the new car versus old car safety thing is it's not an accurate comparison. If we still made big thick metal heavy cars with huge bumpers like in the old days we wouldn't have let them stay exactly the same inside and was held safety features that technology brought us. Imagine a giant car like the Lincoln with a high-quality shoulder strap seat belt and airbag in the steering wheel and even a curtain airbag for the roof. That could very well make the occupants come out ahead in a crash test vs a newer 4-door sedan car.
We'll never really know and it's all just conjecture but we can agree that the old cars would certainly be safer with all the technological safety advance like airbags and seatbelts. The only test they ever do is a Factory original like 59 Impala vs. A newer Impala.
Take the new car and take away the airbags and the seat belt and you could get hurt badly also. Or just give you a plain old lap belt like cars had for a long time ... it would level the playing field just like it would if you took an old car and added high-quality seatbelts and airbags.
But as I said that's not how they test them. They want the facts to show that the new designs and the new tech are safer than the old. Nobody wants to talk about making thick metal cars with strong bumpers. They want to talk about Crush zones and energy-absorbing. I'm not going to say which one is better unless we had real world tests because I don't give the engineers and their computers and other simulator results a very high level of accuracy. Especially when I know what they want the results to show from the get-go.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because the old were talking about is a factory 58 Impala with no evolution of safety...
And they don't make cars like that because they decided to change designs and designs evolved over the years for many reasons.

I wasn't talking to you! JExpedition07 and I are having a discussion about a couple of specific old cars and a few newer ones or newer ones in general including approximation of weight, crashworthiness and ponderings on how things could have or would have been different had they continued to make heavy large thick metal cars.
The fact that they no longer make cars this way is irrelevant.

We will gladly take it to a private message if you can't see your way out of our conversation with your arrogant nitpicking along with cutting and pasting parts of posts so you can disagree with them or point out some Mr. Obvious factoids when no question was asked nor was your opinion asked for.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course I will continue to put up by Massive walls of words regarding things from the past and off topic discussions but they're still related because it is an auto forum I think it's about Expeditions but I also think it's about Ford's and Ford trucks and Ford SUVs oh, and occasionally it's about for sedans. Wait, they're not going to make those anymore correct?? Could someone go look it up for me and make sure I have the exact acting information because I really really really care.....
I am going to quit editing my post though so I apologize 2 the other members on here that I like if it gets sometimes hard to read Because autocorrect does some funny things in my text to speech and a lot of these are done that way and not in front of a keyboard but even when they are in front of the keyboard I don't let myself or restrain myself anyway. Could you tell?? I don't restrain myself from anyting.
This is my fun time. My relaxation. Sometimes it's a place I go to find information on a topic concerning Ford SUVs or certain Ford engines but mostly it's just to entertain myself, converse with other members oh, but not all, and tell stories and shoot the shit.
That Lincoln Cosmo being stated earlier weighing 4500 pounds I think is a little low. Google shows them 4400-4800 on Wikipedia But I swear the one I had was about a 6000 pound car. At least it sure felt like it. You couldn't even bounce the thing up and down on the bumper when you gave it all you had front or rear. It barely moved. And that wasn't just because it had knee action shock absorbers.
But the exact weight made little difference in our conversation or storyline.
Because it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that much. What's 500, a thousand or 1500 pounds?? Give or take. On a vehicle that's at least 45?? Does the percentage matter?? It doesn't. Unless you're the scale. Unless you want to pull out a nice velocity and force formula and worry about what the extra thousand pounds does. I won't. I won't worry about it. I don't care.
It's all relative!! Life is all relative. Give or take a little here and there doesn't matter relatively speaking. Sometimes three seconds makes all the difference in the world or all the difference in your life.
Sometimes I'll be getting in the shower to get ready for the day and I'll drop something and I want to curse because it happened that it slowed me down five or six seconds but then I think hey what is me having to reach down and pick that up took 8 extra seconds and slowed me down and as I'm driving down the road a car will **** by through an intersection or a light 8 seconds before I get there and had I been earlier I could have been blasted.
Everything happens for a reason. Some may not agree with this but I at least believe that some things happen for a reason sometimes.
So it's kind of a paradox or a pair of ducks.... it's all relative but everything happens for a reason. Quack quack.
And if you don't like it you can just duck off.
That reminds me, tomorrow is Monday. That means it's Little Chiney time.
That's the Chinese buffet that we eat most every Monday.
We pretty much Plan our lives and our weeks and our days around which all you can eat place we're going to eat that day or the next.
And amazingly enough I'm not a super large person.
Always had some meat on my bones but stay very very active actually doing the work to these cars that most people on this and the other forms I go to only talk about doing.
Got back from vacation last June or July oh, I really can't remember when because it's all relative.. And I was at my highest weight ever. I decided I needed to lose some weight so now on December 1st I'm down 24 lb. I fluctuate a little bit and have been down as much as 29 but haven't broken the magic 30 yet and just came back from another vacation quiet very poorly and had less exercise.
But I will continue to lose weight because it's just one of those plug and chug kind of things and make mindful choices of what you eat and how much. Or in my case how many times a day. I can fully enjoy my all you can eat buffet and have all of my 1800 or 2000 calories and one meal for the day.
I would hate to see how many calories I used to eat in a day time I'm sure it was easily 3500 to 5000.
I've had desserts that were 2,000 calories.
I've sat there and drank 5 20 oz Mountain Dew's with each meal. That's a lot of empty calories right there.

I might have to stop driving SUVs though if I get too skinny because that's why a lot of people like them because trucks and SUVs are much more comfortable for large people.
See how I did that right there... Twisted that around so it somehow makes all this diet and fat stuff related to an expedition.
It was another thread but just earlier today someone else brought up the old Chevelles, in an expedition form even. To quote my least favorite person of October "How dare you!"
I'm glad the only memes I see of her now are people making fun of her. That makes me happy in my own little bubble of life.

How could you possibly like an expedition more than a vintage Chevelle?? Well, they are much more convenient, more user-friendly at least for the basic operation of, and they get better fuel mileage albeit not a lot better depending on which engine options were talking.
Nothing like classic old horsepower with good rumbly exhaust and free-flowing headers and I big carburetor but I will admit I like being spoiled by fuel injection.
There are no differences in starting your car whether it's hot out, cold out, or the engine has not been running for hours or weather has just been turned off five minutes ago. You start the car I didn't gear and drive away.
I had to refrain from saying sick the key in ignition start it and go because the stupid new cars don't use Keys anymore. I may never be part of that ownership group. I may just refuse the owner drive a car that does not have a metallic
Code cut key that I stick into an ignition switch and turn. I even have issues with ignition switch not being on the column. Now yes, some of the old classic cars did have ignition switch on the dash but I never said that was a good feature of them.
In my opinion all cars should have a real key, a keychain key fob, and keyless entry pad on the door. It amazes me that Ford is about the only one that does this and has for so long.
I guess GM didn't want to feel like they were copycats since they didn't put it on any of the cars that I can remember.
Every front-wheel-drive GM and every Blazer and Trailblazer should have had it not to mention the high-end Suburbans and Escalades.
One of those things I complain about the manufacturers not knowing or caring what we really want.
And with that... I have just transitioned into another topic relating to cars and Ford's even.
Ford knows people like it because when I took it away from the Lincoln Town Cars in the 98 model year people lost their minds and there's a rumor that the guy that was in charge of the bean counters, was fired for removing it.
So it was back in 99 and stayed there ever since. This was on top of the line model Lincoln. Then they went and put it on Plain Jane mm expeditions. Oh looky, one of those typos. My phone almost knows Roman numerals. Doesn't it know they're supposed to be capitalized. Must give respect to the Romans.
GM is just too proud to admit forward to something better and put it on theirs. I want the same thing on my pickup and on my Trailblazer because it's just the most convenient way. They act like I key fob is just as good but it is not. You end up having to remove it from your keychain or get one of those quick disconnects on your keychain which I have done so you can leave your car running or leave the keys in it like under the floor mat or the sun visor or whatever to lock them inside and be able to get back in. Or lock the car up and leave it for another person to come pick up so they will have the keys.
Ford had it all figured out there was no need to change the system but of course in the future we'll all either use our phone or a thumbprint or just enter a code and the car will start and work and cater itself to our pre-entered preferences.
I believe it will go to a phone based app. You'll have the manufacturer specific app and your phone and it will be an RFID or NFC and the car that you open the app and enter whatever credentials authorizations you may need to on the app and it will allow the car to start and operate for you.
Some people just hearing this eat it up and they get all giddy about it because they are part of the problem in this country and this world or people say we have the technology so we must incorporate it into every aspect of Our Lives.
I do not! If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I just looked under the sink today in the bathroom to see how many rolls of toilet paper were down there. I do not need an app for that but I'm sure someone would love one, or there's probably already one been created.
Bandwagon jumpers! You start anything and then people have to just grab it and run with it and take it all the way to the top of the mountain and over and jump off and throw it down there and fill up the whole damn River with it until it comes up and overflows above the top of the mountain and they just never stop and never stop and never stop. Too much of a good thing. Certainly possible.
I'll try to pass on being part of the problem or exacerbating it.
I will stick with my self determined job in this world: to point out and complain about everything wrong with the world- AS I SEE IT.
If I complain enough and a few people agree with me maybe they'll complain too and maybe we might just get one thing changed to be less annoying in this world, like Friday's restaurant sending me out three emails a week at the $12 endless appetizers are back but yet the restaurant 1.2 mi from my door is a franchise and does not honor that promotion. Is the left hand and the right hand connected to the same body? I think not.
Three times a week!! What's my recourse for this? No! Not what you just thought in your head. Not going somewhere else. They advertise something that used to have it at that location they need to honor it!
As I've already stated my life revolves around stuffing my face with either unlimited or buffets so I certainly sent a scathing email clear contact have on the web page but like that really matters.
Track for the 9th email I received I called up and just so happens when speaking to the manager the afternoon about 3:30. He explained to me what I already knew because I already walked in that restaurant a week before and been seated and when the server came over I asked them, you've got the $12 endless apps right?? And they told me no sorry we're a franchise we don't do that. So my son and I got up and left.
He was upset and probably a little embarrassed and didn't want to leave but he's not really principled enough. He goes along with the flow and doesn't know when to put his foot down and tell the world to piss off.
So after about three more emails telling me they had them from the computer-generated Rewards Club, I called and spoke to this manager.
How this guy was a good manager. He fully said he understood my frustration and they really should get their act together and get the left hand on what the right hand is doing since that was the analogy that I used. He was very sympathetic.
And then, highly unexpected by me he said you know what, if you guys want to come in I'll go ahead and order that for you.
We are already decided to go somewhere else for that day which I believe was Olive Garden because they have unlimited soup salad and breadsticks for a lot cheaper than $12. 599 with the coupon.
But I told him thank you I didn't expect him to do that and I just figured I'd never be going to that Friday's again because they didn't have the good special. I just basically asked him where do I have to go, what Fridays has it since I'm getting the email.
So I didn't take him up on it but he said if I should decide to just two ask for him and he would take care of it.
I probably never will. I'm actually waiting for all the stores that shut down so I can spit on their grave because I'm just a vindictive bastard like that. If you don't do what you say you're going to do, or don't do it right, or repeatedly screw up , try to renege out of deals or not honor things that you should be honoring, allow deceptive marketing to go on because they figure once people are in there they're going to go ahead and buy something anyways. I really have no use for a company like this.
I already put Bill Knapp's and Fuddruckers out of business cuz they were operated so poorly in my area. It's a shame, I really enjoyed my meals at Bill Knapp's but they started changing things and messing up and not doing things the way they had been doing them for 30 years so I cursed them.
Fuddruckers Wrong by the same people in the area and the owners were more worried about making her money and vacationing in Jamaica and they were about making sure their stores run properly and taking care of the customers that ended up putting that money in their pocket. They didn't run a tight ship and let their employees not operate the stores properly and even shut the stores down 45 and 50 minutes before the posted hours. Absolutely unacceptable in any retail establishment!
So it's a Bittersweet thing for me that I miss being able to eat there but they deserved what they got.
Ex ped it ion....come on. Da da da da. It's an Expedition.
Sing it for us Lionel.

Old cars good ..new cars bad... old cars good ...new cars bad.
I don't know who sings that. Budrow Megruesellage I think but I made him up.
I don't suffer from alcoholism, just insomnia. Big Touch of insanity 2.
Look at how this phone pipes that stuff out unbelievable or should I say inconceivable.
It's probably not even possible.
If only someone would look it up and research it for us and find the facts and then provide references and links to substantiate said conclusions... then my world, and your world, and days and nights would be so much better and so much smoother because.... because of some crap it doesn't matter.
So little matters in the world.
But let me go back to pondering what if's and could have's.
Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't have happened or that it wouldn't have been a good or even better idea.
But once again, it's all relative. Or is it because it's all relative?
Let's talk about charging up some AC systems there's some relativeness for you.
But then they'll always be that young book learnd smart guy who will start talking about superheat and tell you have to do it this way because that's the way he was trained and because now that people know better they can use the right way.
Whatever engineer man.
And I really should apologize to most engineer people because I don't think they're all this bad or this way but golly gee it is amazing how some of them overthink things or do things the hard way or just completely tear something totally apart in an attempt to fix it or to start to fix it when none of that was necessary if they would have just gone by tried and proven method or ask someone who's done it a bunch of times instead of knowing they're so smart they can figure it out for themselves.
I deal with this at least a couple of times a month in the repair Arena of small engines.
I have very well educated engineer style people bring me a mower and tell me they're pretty sure it's the carburetor or fuel issue ( certainly because they read about it on the internet ) and then go on to tell me about they took this thing off over here and put it back on but it didn't change anything. That thing over there they point to, the muffler.
There, see, I have to take in the muffler back off or the top decorative cover and metal shroud which is 10 more bolts to to reinstall correctly the auto choke system that they messed up when I took the muffler off when it should have been Disturbed.
Hey, look at that, Disturbed like a rock band.
Battery dead got to go. 1% and I certainly don't want to lose all this. That would be a real shame for some people.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah, got to my charger. I feel much better now.
Sorry if that post was a little long-winded. Certainly not my record. I've won the internet twice and Facebook once.
I had about 7 Iced Teas earlier and I'm thinking it was not decaffeinated.

All the forms have this post count thing but I'm wanting to see if there's a way to see the most number of words in a post because I think I would win in every form I've ever been a member of. Not that that's a good thing but it would be a fact.
I'm going to be other forms I post I mentioned this and I member linked what he thought was a record post where he told the entire story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears one time when a guy many comment about say something to distract him from his problems. I looked at the post and scroll down and thought that's not even close to some of the ones I posted.
I know the word programs will give you a word count but I can't just right click and copy text and get a word count unless I find some more software. But I could go and search for all of my post and fine the longest one and copy and paste it over into a Word program just to see.
Some people care about injustices in the world. Some people care about straws and snappy the turtle choking himself out. Some people even care about the planet. I care about far different things.
Relativity.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Toby, you are truly an asset to the Expedition Community and to this forum. I'm thankful for you as I've learned to slow down my life to find time to read your 3102-word posts. And enjoy them. Thank you.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, you are truly an asset to the Expedition Community and to this forum. I'm thankful for you as I've learned to slow down my life to find time to read your 3102-word posts. And enjoy them. Thank you.
And to think when I was in school I really hated writing a five-paragraph essay. Lol
Thank you though. I will admit, that post and a few of my others get a little long. I rarely do it on purpose but when we start talking about aspects of life, there's lots of them and lots of different facets to those aspects.
The joy of a forum is you have multiple people to talk to and about multiple things.
If you have no interest in that topic you can just scroll on by. Just like the knob on a radio and the button for a TV channel.
It is an open discussion of course, and if someone has something positive or interesting to interject that is part of the beauty of these forms.
However, when posters sit around with a radar hard on just waiting to correct someone, prove them wrong, or throw back up something they posted... it takes most of the fun out of it. But I guess some people's goal in life whether they know it or not is to be a fun sucker.
Some people can't help themselves I guess like I can't help myself to tangent off at the mouth.
But I prefer my mostly positive and pleasant and jovial, nostalgic tone even... where I only criticize the world, companies and certain groups of people but never start out trying to be critical or personally demeaning of other posters.

We had an old guy on one of the lawn mower and tractor forums who was just so hateful that more than once he got in trouble with the moderators.
He kept an immense database of Craftsman part numbers and model numbers, not like you can't look that up anytime you need it, and if anyone would speak anything of a general nature about the particular model previously mentioned in the thread was slightly different he would be the absolute first to jump out there and call their statements wrong of course very critically, harsh and demeaning.
He apparently couldn't handle concept of things being about the same.
They are lawn mowers! They run on gas, they're usually single or twin cylinder engines, they have Magneto's, flywheels that spin around and around and they usually used to cut grass , at least when you put them on a riding mower.
Forums are where people come to get general information on where to start their diagnosis or repair procedure. Generalizations are just fine. Then when you get more specific and to helping the poster with their specific repair and repeated post back and forth, that's when you take care of any specific differences in their model. Just like with Fordgirl and her 5.4 32-valve Navigator.
A lot of the specifics don't make much difference at her previous stages of working on it. Just a matter of getting the head off. Yes, it's a little bit harder on a 32-valve because there's less room but it's the same basic procedure. Keep removing stuff and tweak things out of the way until you can get the head out of there, which she did quite nicely by the way.
It doesn't matter if someone says to use a 13 mm to remove the power steering pump and some gotcha poster jumps on there and says you're wrong. It's a 10mm.
It's just unnecessary and I guess it says something about their character.
It says something about my character that I take those posts as combative and then my claws come out and I'm willing to double down and go at it with them.
This is not fun and enjoyable for me but I feel the need. Others don't like watching the arguments play out from what I have gathered on forums. I will admit, sometimes it's enjoyable to see a couple of members really go at it until the moderators shut one down as I have seen on other forms but most people see it as an annoyance.
For me it goes back to who threw the first stone and since I don't think I have ever come at any forum member on any forum critically or impolitely even if I was correcting some misinformation that I thought was important not to get wrong.
So I'm always a really nice guy and go out of my way to help people on the street even though I'm critical as hell of society in general but when someone starts off with a nasty combative tone, I find it very hard to control myself or go the other way.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most modern cars will be below the door panels of the Excursion anyway. I would like to have one with the 7.3 or 6.0. Those are stupid diesels. They don't realize how much power the have :cool::cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze