I got all choked up over my new (to me) Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 yesterday. After work today I drove it to the auto parts store for some cleaners and such, and new windshield wipers.

I bought the truck from one of those "I have a dealer license and a small warehouse, buy vehicles at auction and list them on Craigslist" kind of places.

This made me not so much nervous, but prepared for having bought someone else's problem. But I knew from the Carfax it was a one owner vehicle, and after going through it thoroughly it really felt like the owner cared a lot about the truck.

Anyway, when I got home I grabbed the little packet out of the center console that had some user manuals etc in it. When I got inside I went through it all, and found the original purchase paperwork. It had the original owners' (a couple) names and phone numbers, among other info.

I couldn't resist dialing the phone number, just to see. Lo and beyond, the wife answered. I told her who I am and that I had just bought the truck. I asked if the husband was available to talk and she said he passed away, that's why she sold the truck. She said it was very hard to sell it because he loved it so much and it was like selling part of him.

I told her a bit about my history, I grew up in Detroit and am a car guy who is the grandson and son of car guys. My grandfather was a race car driver. My dad was a mechanic and various other dealership jobs for 50 years. I assured her the truck is in very good hands, and this made her happy.

By the end of the phone call I was basically in tears. Then I found a photo of the two of them on her Facebook page. He was born in 1950, she in 1951.

Then the story gets even better. I looked at a lot of trucks this week before buying. The very first one was a GMC Envoy at Sheehan GMC in Pompano Beach, FL. Fast forward to yesterday, having spent all week looking at - and laying under - old trucks, and I bought the 2007 Expedition. The original purchase location where they bought it new? Sheehan Auto Direct in Pompano Beach, across the street from Sheehan GMC where I looked at the first truck.

Wow.

The irony is I was kind of looking for a truck for camping, hauling bikes, pulling a boat out of the water, something older and cheap that I wouldn't have to care about too much... But now I do. A lot.

My new old Ford is now affectionately named Ernest, in honor of the dearly departed original owner.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great story ! I'm sure it was well taken care of and not abused. Make sure to put some wax on the roof and in those roof channels to keep the rust away. How many miles were on it when you bought it ?

OP
OP
postwick

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great story ! I'm sure it was well taken care of and not abused. Make sure to put some wax on the roof and in those roof channels to keep the rust away. How many miles were on it when you bought it ?

I'll be doing a two stage polish with ceramic on Sunday.

184,000 miles!

Drives and runs great. Tracks straight. Steering is tight. No leaks. Only thing I've found that doesn't work is the overhead entertainment DVD player, but the previous owner put an aftermarket DVD player in the center console and did a real clean job of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants