I have cam phaser issue :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was curious about others here that have had to take in their expedition to replace cam phaser. How long did it take? Did dealer give you a hard time about replacing it even though it hasn't completely failed yet? Anything else I need to know when I take it in?

Thanks in advance!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What are the symptoms you have experienced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer said to drop off sunday night. Leave a note on the steering wheel stating not to start without 2 people, one to start the truck and one who will be assigned to the job of replacing the phasers to listen to the cold start.

After that, if parts in stock, 2 days

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked mine up a week ago. It tool the dealer 3 weeks to get the parts due to a nationwide back order. I shared this video with the dealer in hopes they could diagnose and order the parts prior to me dropping off. 26K miles on early 2018 build.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had mine done in February. It was at the dealer for 3 weeks, but I also had other minor issues and a trim piece they had to order.

No issues With dealer and immediately gave me a loaner. I have about 6k since the repair and knock on wood still silent starts.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the video! I guess it's me, but I don't really hear anything. At least outside of "normal". Makes me wonder about mine? Is there a recall or TSB for this? Certain production dates?

Wait...I listened again. Is it that slight rattle for a second at first start?

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the video! I guess it's me, but I don't really hear anything. At least outside of "normal". Makes me wonder about mine? Is there a recall or TSB for this? Certain production dates?

Wait...I listened again. Is it that slight rattle for a second at first start?

Yes, the first 3-5 seconds. I only noticed it if my truck sits for an extended period of time.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it!
I'd do what I could to get them to commit to a loaner before dropping it off. Some dealers are better than others with that.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine just started making the noise. Based on the info I got from a Ford Tech he said there is absolutely no damage that will happen to the engine as a result of the noise. I am questioning whether I want to get it fixed or not? Do I really want the thing torn apart to fix something that isn't that big of a deal. The little plastic thing in there is only there to prevent rattle on cold start he said.