I have cam phaser issue :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding the cam phasers issue:

- I think you all need to address it If it happens. The loud rattle means metal parts are hitting each other - which is never good for an engine. This could produce shavings that lead to further damage. I am not an expert though!

- Ford most probably went with a plastic pin to reduce the wear on the Cam phaser gear due to the pin striking the phaser body when it locks. This wear causes very similar rattle on start up on Hondas and Toyotas — but at considerably high mileage.

- I like the expedition and the Ecoboost lineup. I support Ford for being forward thinking and on par with German manufacturers in terms of engine and transmission technology. I am just wondering how come that the phaser Pin failure didn’t show up during engine Development and testing ?!
Like most issues today it’s probably a parts maker that changed the material being used in the part. All auto makers seem to be having issues with parts makers changing materials used in internal parts as a result you’ll get a batch of cars that are fine and the next week you’ll get a batch of cars with issues.

Louis Gentry

Reaction score
I have a 2013 expedition limited and it has 158,000 . The check engine light came on yesterday and I went to autozone to read the code p0349 . The sound just started. I came to the forums to see has any dealt with this before . I can’t be to upset because this has been a good truck . The clearance that I have around the engine make it much easier to work on my self . The job is a bit tedious, but doable . Out of all of the treads and how to videos I have watched . I will only use OME Ford parts . I will update with pics as I finish and rate the job .

TimmyTan

Reaction score
I had my Cam Phasers replaced as well. Dealer didn't put up a fight. Takes about 2 solid days. I believe they allow 9 hours of labor. Wow what a difference. Didn't realize how much the timing was off until this repair was made. Runs so much better now. Be ready to put up a fight if you still have the noise after the repair. My 2018 wasn't just the Cam Phasers, I also had a bad Turbo. Please check out fordtechmakuloco on YouTube, he has videos to address both issues. The waste gate in the 3.5 Turbos hinge fails and causes a lot of noises like the cam chain. I had to file a complaint with Ford Corporate to get them to replace the noisy turbo. Like a new vehicle now. Best of Luck with the repairs.

Big_Mac

Reaction score
Hello? A loose HEAT SHIELD, is a safety issue.

A "rattling" heat shield does not necessarily mean that it is in danger of falling off. In fact, most exhaust heat shields that rattle aren't actually at any risk of falling off. They usually rattle because of welds that are slightly too short or bands that are slightly too loose. Neither of those causes are actually very likely to result in a detached heat shield. They fix these things under warranty because, statistically, squeaks and rattles are surprisingly large factors in customers choosing different brand in the future.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello? A loose HEAT SHIELD, is a safety issue.
Maybe some are but most are not a safety issue, I have had a rattling heat shield on my jeep for abut 180k miles now. Keep hoping it would fall off. I have a stainless hose clamp on it now and that seems to be working pretty good to keep it quiet. Jeep didn't give a crap when I took it in, they said no warranty on exhaust system. They said I probably hit it on a rock and broke the little weld. Might be true...gas tank skid was a "little" beat up...

Reaction score
I had to read through to realize this is aka the cold start rattle. Been mentioned on here a lot. Mine does it as well. I’m in no hurry to get it fixed. I am starting a list and will get it knocked out all at once.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 wasn't just the Cam Phasers, I also had a bad Turbo. Please check out fordtechmakuloco on YouTube, he has videos to address both issues. The waste gate in the 3.5 Turbos hinge fails and causes a lot of noises like the cam chain. I had to file a complaint with Ford Corporate to get them to replace the noisy turbo. Like a new vehicle now. Best of Luck with the repairs.

I forgot about that. Both of mine started rattling a lot at part throttle around 25k. They also replaced both of mine at the same time as the phasers as well. It wasn’t an issue for me to get that done.

texevora

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't cam phasers one of the most common and potentially catastrophic problems on the previous-gen Expeditions? (I had a '12 Expedition Limited before my current '19 Limited)

If that's the case, did FoMoCo seriously not address this problem at all when they redesigned for the current-gen?