I need extra keys for my new expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the dealer just called. My new expy is in!

I want extra keys but I have a question. Lots of advice on this forum says just buy the fob and program it yourself. Fair enough. I could easily do that.

But doesn't the expedition fob also have a mechanical key inside of it? (like my wife's Subaru?). ? Does that have to match the lock cylinders in the expy.

I assume there is SOME way to get in to an expedition with a dead battery. At least to open the hood and replace the battery.

Many thanks for any quick responses. I will be picking it up in a few days and need to decide if I let the dealer charge me full price for spare keys or not.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the dealer just called. My new expy is in!

I want extra keys but I have a question. Lots of advice on this forum says just buy the fob and program it yourself. Fair enough. I could easily do that.

But doesn't the expedition fob also have a mechanical key inside of it? (like my wife's Subaru?). ? Does that have to match the lock cylinders in the expy.

I assume there is SOME way to get in to an expedition with a dead battery. At least to open the hood and replace the battery.

Many thanks for any quick responses. I will be picking it up in a few days and need to decide if I let the dealer charge me full price for spare keys or not.

On my Expedition - how to program additional (new) key fobs is contained in the printed owner’s manual. The intelligent key fob has a metal key to open the LF door, and it can be cut by the dealer.

The metal key blank (which slides-in the fob) was sold separately from the fob for my Expedition. It was very easy to program a NEW fob, following the instructions in the manual. My model required two programmed fobs to program one or more NEW fobs.

Perhaps look-up your manual online prior to taking delivery, to determine if you can program a new fob?

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my Expedition - how to program additional (new) key fobs is contained in the printed owner’s manual. The intelligent key fob has a metal key to open the LF door, and it can be cut by the dealer.

The metal key blank (which slides-in the fob) was sold separately from the fob for my Expedition. It was very easy to program a NEW fob, following the instructions in the manual. My model required two programmed fobs to program one or more NEW fobs.

Perhaps look-up your manual online prior to taking delivery, to determine if you can program a new fob?

I am confident I could program the new fob. I read the manual and it seems easy enough.

But since I would also need the key cut by the dealer I might as well just get the key when I purchase the truck next week and let them do it all.

Thanks.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am confident I could program the new fob. I read the manual and it seems easy enough.

But since I would also need the key cut by the dealer I might as well just get the key when I purchase the truck next week and let them do it all.

Thanks.

Definitely get some extra keys cut. I made extra fobs, but was locked out because the battery was dead and I didn't have a key handy. I had to apply power to the trailer connector to unlock the doors. It's actually happened twice because my kids keep leaving lights on. Prices for duplicate fobs and programming can vary. If you have two, you can program extras. Otherwise, a dealership will need to do it. There's a tiny serial number on the fob where the key inserts. You can use that to search for fobs sold online. This worked for the Ford IA keys for both of my 2017 Ford vehicles (Expedition and Focus Electric).

fothco

Reaction score
Yes , but , plse share the Harness system you used to send power through a 7 point Trailer Electr hook up . Thanks ....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360