I realllllly want to love the truck, but man is this thing glitchy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvetteGuy88

Reaction score
Picked up our '22 Expedition Max Ltd in December after ordering in April of last year. We love the overall vehicle and packaging- especially with a young / growing family it's a perfect rig for family trips that easily handles our boat and costco runs. That said, we've had a TON of glitches over our ~5 months of ownership... in no particular order:

+ On 2 occasions, the headlights have turned on when truck is turned off and remained on. Once, I didn't catch it and it completely drained the battery in our driveway. Thankfully on the second occasion, we ran a quick errand and I noticed upon returning to the vehicle. Apparently a known issue Ford is aware of... wild this can happen and battery rundown protection didn't kick in.
+ We have the upgraded trailering package, and the truck has a trailer light fault with a number of different trailers. Dealer has been unable to diagnose despite investigating for over a week (on 2 separate visits), replicating issue, and dialoguing with Ford corporate. Right turn signal and right brake light are therefore currently inoperable on any trailering vehicle. Going in for a 3rd visit this week, to hopefully remedy with a new trailer control module.
+ Truck routinely prompts to select a connected trailer when no trailer is connected. Hoping this is related to a faulty trailer module / issue above
+ 1-touch power front windows (front only, as rear was deleted due to chip shortage) forget they are 1-touch windows at least once a week, which is easy enough to reprogram but incredibly annoying. Never had this issue in any car I've owned going back to 1998 model year..
+ Running boards and auto-fold mirrors decide to operate only on one side. Usually corrected by opening / closing door again or pressing the mirror button, but my wife almost took a spill getting out as her running board didn't deploy.
+ Multiple trim issues.. we had the gap around the gauge bezel and wavy center speaker grill many have commented on, which required replacement parts to remedy, in addition to another trim piece that had to be realigned.
+ Sync 4A 15" Screen shows a Mach-E picture instead of an Expedition a few times per month
+ Random roof rattle behind the drivers headrest near the midpoint of the panoramic roof.

We purchased an extended service plan and intended to keep the car 6+ years, but I'm definitely concerned with the experience to date, which has started to erode my confidence in this being a reliable family vehicle. Disappointing that a platform released in 2018 would still have all these kinks / growing pains, especially one that's trimmed out to a nearly $80k MSRP, though I appreciate many are software driven and perhaps unique to the 2022+..

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 22's are "covid" cars. That model year took the brunt of the chip shortage and supply chain issues. I'd try to lemon law it for sure.

KetMalice

Reaction score
Picked up our '22 Expedition Max Ltd in December after ordering in April of last year. We love the overall vehicle and packaging- especially with a young / growing family it's a perfect rig for family trips that easily handles our boat and costco runs. That said, we've had a TON of glitches over our ~5 months of ownership... in no particular order:

+ On 2 occasions, the headlights have turned on when truck is turned off and remained on. Once, I didn't catch it and it completely drained the battery in our driveway. Thankfully on the second occasion, we ran a quick errand and I noticed upon returning to the vehicle. Apparently a known issue Ford is aware of... wild this can happen and battery rundown protection didn't kick in.
+ We have the upgraded trailering package, and the truck has a trailer light fault with a number of different trailers. Dealer has been unable to diagnose despite investigating for over a week (on 2 separate visits), replicating issue, and dialoguing with Ford corporate. Right turn signal and right brake light are therefore currently inoperable on any trailering vehicle. Going in for a 3rd visit this week, to hopefully remedy with a new trailer control module.
+ Truck routinely prompts to select a connected trailer when no trailer is connected. Hoping this is related to a faulty trailer module / issue above
+ 1-touch power front windows (front only, as rear was deleted due to chip shortage) forget they are 1-touch windows at least once a week, which is easy enough to reprogram but incredibly annoying. Never had this issue in any car I've owned going back to 1998 model year..
+ Running boards and auto-fold mirrors decide to operate only on one side. Usually corrected by opening / closing door again or pressing the mirror button, but my wife almost took a spill getting out as her running board didn't deploy.
+ Multiple trim issues.. we had the gap around the gauge bezel and wavy center speaker grill many have commented on, which required replacement parts to remedy, in addition to another trim piece that had to be realigned.
+ Sync 4A 15" Screen shows a Mach-E picture instead of an Expedition a few times per month
+ Random roof rattle behind the drivers headrest near the midpoint of the panoramic roof.

We purchased an extended service plan and intended to keep the car 6+ years, but I'm definitely concerned with the experience to date, which has started to erode my confidence in this being a reliable family vehicle. Disappointing that a platform released in 2018 would still have all these kinks / growing pains, especially one that's trimmed out to a nearly $80k MSRP, though I appreciate many are software driven and perhaps unique to the 2022+..

i recently posted a few videos of glitchy shit with my 22 Timberline for the service department to see. It didn’t help. I just got a new transmission this week. Every couple of weeks it’s a completely new thing, and all the dealerships don’t know what to do.

working with Ford customer service has been a 0/10.

Service departments are also not willing to do work on a lot of shit because they are afraid Ford will do a chargeback. Right before Covid Ford changed the way they do service with their service departments. Ford has auditors that gets their pay from looking through warranties after the fact and if the dealership didn’t jump through all the hoops in exactly the correct order exactly the way it was supposed to be done they charge the dealership for the work that was done. So dealerships now aren’t even submitting things to warranty unless it’s an absolute slam dunk.

I will never again buy a Ford because of this one vehicle.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been disappointed so far.
1) brake booster failure
2) active grille shutter solenoid failure
3) 3rd row middle seat belt stuck extended from ceiling
4) sync screen fails occasionally

Maybe because it's not my daily but my wife's, I just can't get used or enjoy the 15.5" screen and scrolling through it.

This is the first time, in a long time, I'd consider trading one of my vehicles in based on disappointment.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Expedition Timberline and have two of the same issues.
Front 1-touch window up often looses it’s programming and needs re-programmed.
Snapping sound from roof/headliner area around B-Pillar/drivers head area (this does not happen at 40 deg F or below, and happens more the warmer it gets. Doesn’t seem to be pano glass related as it does it closed, vented and fully opened. Is anyone else having the creak/snapping sound from the roof/headliner?

KetMalice

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Expedition Timberline and have two of the same issues.
Front 1-touch window up often looses it’s programming and needs re-programmed.
Snapping sound from roof/headliner area around B-Pillar/drivers head area (this does not happen at 40 deg F or below, and happens more the warmer it gets. Doesn’t seem to be pano glass related as it does it closed, vented and fully opened. Is anyone else having the creak/snapping sound from the roof/headliner?
Yes I am too. Some people have been reporting the pano glass shattering for no reason.

There may actually be a service bulletin for that now. But kind of like the tailgate spike puncturing the roof, you have to wait until it happens before Ford will address it.

OP
OP
CorvetteGuy88

CorvetteGuy88

Reaction score
There was an article in the WSJ a few months back talking about how Ford is trying to refocus on quality... can't happen fast enough. I echo the comment above from @MattG -- first time I may exit a vehicle based on disappointment. If the trim issues / glitches etc are this bad at <6 months, I'm not sure I want to see what plays out over the course of 3-6 years.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the trim issues / glitches etc are this bad at <6 months, I'm not sure I want to see what plays out over the course of 3-6 years.
I'm afraid to say anything — that if I do my truck will immediately start falling apart — but I've had my '22 for 6 months now and so far not a single problem or issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze