I really miss the Gear Shift Lever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an MKZ with the push buttons on the dash. Takes up no room and is in easy eye site. I like it better than the rotary shifter in my other vehicles .... but I would love to have a PRNDLL (pronounced Pa-Ren-Dell) on the tree!!!

I remember teaching my daughter to drive. I told her to ease out of the parking space. She put the car in "Run" and we lurched backward!!!! I guess in this day and age R could be run.

Like some said above, it is hard to get passed muscle memory. Taking something that we have been doing for so long without a thought ... and now having to think about it every time we shifts gears. (where is the facepalm emoji)

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, miss having a physical handle of some sort that actually provides feedback as you go from one to the other. I too have done the accidental slam into park thing when having to quickly shift. I also can't believe this vehicle doesn't have paddles (especially in the upper trims) as the little +/- buttons are terribly inconvenient, shouldn't have to take my eyes off the road to shift. I use lower gears a lot on mountain passes.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, miss having a physical handle of some sort that actually provides feedback as you go from one to the other. I too have done the accidental slam into park thing when having to quickly shift. I also can't believe this vehicle doesn't have paddles (especially in the upper trims) as the little +/- buttons are terribly inconvenient, shouldn't have to take my eyes off the road to shift. I use lower gears a lot on mountain passes.

The column shifter on the Super Duty has the +/- and tow/haul located nicely. I think one can option the F-150 with this shifter should they delete the storage console, notice there is room for 6 cup holders in the console too.
98CB3E86-FEDC-4822-A208-B7FAFD42543D.jpeg
94AE0CD4-DEDF-424B-A2BB-389D83DC3199.jpeg

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My father has a Ram truck that has the rotary knob in the dash. Kinda like the trailer knob on Fords. He had it detailed at one of those full service car washes. The kids working on it tried to turn it without applying the brake first. Broke whatever is inside and the dealership had to come get it on a roll back truck. They couldn’t even put the transfer case in neutral without taking it out of park as it’s electric to. It even tells you to press the brake to shift out of park. It was almost $600.00 after everything said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The column shifter on the Super Duty has the +/- and tow/haul located nicely. I think one can option the F-150 with this shifter should they delete the storage console, notice there is room for 6 cup holders in the console too.
View attachment 35072
View attachment 35071
While that still isn't as nice as paddles, or even buttons on the steering wheel similar you the cruise control buttons, that's still better than the little buttons on the center console, but I definitely didn't see an option for that on the expys, and the surgery required to make it work would be nuts.

larryjb

Reaction score
Of all the ideas, I still like the column shifter the best. Anything in the center console area takes up valuable real estate. My Tahoe has the tow/haul on the end of the column shifter as well, and I really like it. There's no hunting around for that button. For a 10 speed transmission, put PRNDL where +/- buttons can cycle through the low gears in L.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On any vehicle with a console shifter my hand is resting on it most of the time.
It seems the cars I drive with column shifters have a nice armrest/console that is higher so I can rest there and let hand hand off usually.
I HATE knob or dial shifters.

Teasip

Reaction score
Can't stand the rotary shift. Too many round knobs. From a human interaction/controls aspect a shift lever is more intuitive, easy to reach for without looking, etc. Such a stupid design, I think Lorena Bobbitt must have taken her knife to the shift lever and emasculated the Expy all for a bunch of soccer moms.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why can't the manufacturers offer an option to use a mechanical "stick shift" that provides the electrical input to the trans? They could also make it so you could leave it in high gear and let the trans decide. That way we can still have the feeling of shifting.
I know this isn't going to happen but i can still hope it will. I also realize more than 6 speeds shifted with a "stick" would require a lot of activity.
Personally, if I had the money I would put a in manual trans w/clutch pedal.

larryjb

Reaction score
Why can't the manufacturers offer an option to use a mechanical "stick shift" that provides the electrical input to the trans? They could also make it so you could leave it in high gear and let the trans decide. That way we can still have the feeling of shifting.
I know this isn't going to happen but i can still hope it will. I also realize more than 6 speeds shifted with a "stick" would require a lot of activity.
Personally, if I had the money I would put a in manual trans w/clutch pedal.

This is essentially how our 2008 6 speed auto stick shift works. Put it in drive and the computer/transmission decides what gear you should be in. It has PRD21. If you place it in 2 or 1, the transmission down shifts until it gets to your selected gear. Use 2 to start on slippery or snowy roads and you have better traction because the transmission starts in 2nd. The "stick" is mechanically connected to the transmission, but the actual gear changes are made by solenoids in the valve body which are controlled by computer.