Im buying a 2000 XLT So I joined this group HI!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brcknrdg Rob

Reaction score
Im buying a 2000 XLT thats pretty roughed up, ex highway patrol but the motor is strong. I work 2 miles from my house on a construction site. I had a company truck with my previous job and now I can get by with a beater for getting there and back. I have to give my wife's 2009 expedition back and have always wanted a 1st generation to hack up and eventually build. I am fine dropping a little into it every month instead of a car payment on something nice that would end up getting dusted out anyways. I'm hoping to find some help locating the things I need and then eventually the things I am wishing for. Any suggestiond or links to parts places would be greatly appreciated.

What I know so far;

• Power steering is intermitent and has a new pump, From what I have read it is probably a control valve and flushing as well as Lucas Power steering treatement??
  • Door locks are all jacked
  • Driver side door handle inside broken
  • Passenger side window busted
  • Windsheild cracked
  • Needs new breaks
  • 4 wheel drive is not working(at one point it was switching on around curves do to what I understood as the synchro at the time, but the mechanic disconected the front shaft..I think..I havent climbed under it yet. Rumor has it that I will need new spindles as well but I will probably elect for manual hub locks unless given advice in another direction. I was thinking to eventually do a solid front swap since my end goal is to cut it up and make a rock crawler out of it or just a beach and back road adventure cruiser.
I know I will find more, this was my brothers truck and we have had some great times in it and its gotten us back everytime. Ive been having visions of cutting the top off of one right behind the back pillar and fabbing an exterior roll cage with a soft top or something. Has anyone seen this done?

Im only in a hurry to fix power steering and windows so that I can use it for commuting.

OP
OP
brcknrdg Rob

brcknrdg Rob

Reaction score
Giving this a bump, I fixed the window, mirror, and door handle. I pulled some power steering fluid and exchange it with Lucas stop leak, got underneath it and see that the Line with metal fitting on the bottom of the pump is a little wiggly so I will replace it soon. Also did the rear brakes on our 2009, that parking brake spring is a real pain. Ive found a dismantler to pull parts from.

Big pappy

Reaction score
Hey Rob. Suffice to say, These are great dependable vehicles . I have an 01 4.6. Glad you joined