Increase front GAWR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmden

Reaction score
Is there a way to increase the front axle GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating)? Anyone explored this? I have a 2014 with 108K on it. Front GAWR is 3550 lbs, just like the Gen 4s I've seen.

Have a front hitch. When I put a motorcycle carrier and a 280 lb motorbike up there and have a passenger up front I am just over the GAWR with a 110 lb double kayak up top that is 22.5' long and towing a 19' trailer.

All the other weights are well under max when we get to the scale and weigh and figure everything out weight wise. I think I can reposition some cargo (get more weight in the very back of Exped) and the locate the boat rearwards up top to get under the GAWR...maybe. I do have 10 ply rated tires up front that I run at 65 psi plus with bike up there and/or towing. I was able to reposition the bike 2" closer to the front of the Exped by drilling new holes in motorcycle carrier.

I have installed the SumoSprings up front in the coil springs, otherwise the front dives badly.

I'm curious if anyone knows what component is the 'weak link' that rates these front ends at 3550 lbs. Struts, axles, etc...? Anyone know and is there a way to functionally increase that over what I've already done?

Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you can find an engineer that worked on the design, it's not possible for anyone here to say. We could make guesses but the rating is given to dozens of different components all working together as a whole.

That being said, if it were my truck and I knew all tires, brakes, and suspension components were in good condition, I probably wouldn't worry too much about being "just over."

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
I think that is a very good answer. It's the same conclusion that I arrived at but wanted to run it by some other folks familiar with the rig. I don't like being over limits at all in this situation. If something goes wrong and there's an accident, then liability could be pinned on me.

I was able to get front axle weight to 3560, 10 lbs over, with the mods I mentioned in the first post, but then realized I'd put enough weight in the back to do so that I was over GVWR by a couple of hundred pounds. Gotta be careful with this stuff...