Information display brightness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhneely

Reaction score
During the day time it is impossible to see the digital information display that shows the miles and direction. Is there a brighter bulb that can be installed?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
During the day time it is impossible to see the digital information display that shows the miles and direction. Is there a brighter bulb that can be installed?
Huh? I had no issue seeing any display in our 15 or our 17 on a bright day. Maybe if the sun hit it just right, it might have washed out a little, but never "impossible to see".

Got a picture? Are you wearing polarized sunglasses?

OP
OP
D

dhneely

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that my Expedition is a 2011. I am not wearing sun glasses. I can sometimes shade the side of the display and see it a little better, but that is not safe while driving. The display is just not bright enough in the daytime.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the old display with the dim green light?

If so, do NOT believe F150 videos that suggest it has easily changed bulbs, it looks similar but is a different design. No plug and play way to do it.

Also, the gauges are "mechanically" (un)calibrated, so taking it apart and putting it back together can leave you with an odometer or speedometer that isn't calibrated to zero.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In bright, direct sunlight the info display does become very hard to see. When I first got my truck I contemplated having the cluster tinted at a pro tint shop, but ultimately I decided it wasn't really all that important. I don't think a bulb would sort it even if it wasn't such a huge PITA to do.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are many threads on this topic.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/info-display-too-dim.36455/

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/instrument-panel-display.30826/