Install after-market tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kai Sun

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am new here and am looking into purchase a 2018 Ford Expedition Max, which does not have the HD trailer tow package. Without the tow package, the towing capacity is only 6000 lbs. I really want to have a towing capacity to be 9000 lbs. Is there a way to install the tow package for a used expedition?

Steve in WV

Reaction score
The "HD trailer tow package" is the seven pin connector, trailer brake controller, auxiliary transmission cooler and heavy duty radiator. You can certainly install all of those aftermarket. That's what I did except I skipped the radiator upgrade. It just wasn't needed for the trailer and conditions I tow under. I'm pretty sure this won't "technically" increase your rated maximum towing capability for warranty purposes (ford can void your warranty if they prove you've towed over the rated capacity") but it will definitely help you tow more weight more safely.

OP
OP
K

Kai Sun

Reaction score
The "HD trailer tow package" is the seven pin connector, trailer brake controller, auxiliary transmission cooler and heavy duty radiator. You can certainly install all of those aftermarket. That's what I did except I skipped the radiator upgrade. It just wasn't needed for the trailer and conditions I tow under. I'm pretty sure this won't "technically" increase your rated maximum towing capability for warranty purposes (ford can void your warranty if they prove you've towed over the rated capacity") but it will definitely help you tow more weight more safely.

Thank you Steve. Your suggestion is very help.

lennyl

Reaction score
isn't part of the HD tow package 3.73 ratio ELSD axle? i thought that is part that brings the max tow capacity to 9000lb

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expedition EL 5.4L so not apples to apples but mine has HD towing package. It says it includes HD radiator, 7 row auxiliary transmission cooler, Class IV receiver, as well as both 4 & 7 pin connectors.

Now I believe all expys have the class IV receiver regardless so it is the coolers and 7 pin that are the difference between standard tow and HD tow.

Jonathan J Moons

Reaction score
The ford trailer guide for 2018 on page 16 lists out what you get with the 536 towing package, most notable is upgraded rear axle.

lennyl

Reaction score
upload_2019-6-3_14-37-18.png

got this directly from Ford for 2019 Expedition, so looks like without 3.73 Axle max towing capacity is 6,300 and in order to increase to 9,000 lb you need 3.73 rear end

Steve in WV

Reaction score
View attachment 30363

got this directly from Ford for 2019 Expedition, so looks like without 3.73 Axle max towing capacity is 6,300 and in order to increase to 9,000 lb you need 3.73 rear end

Yeah, that's odd. all three axle ratios were rated at 9000+ (with the rest of the HD towing package) on the 2017 and previous.

Attachments

• 17RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Sep7.pdf
    192.1 KB · Views: 11

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 2007-2014 all EL models came with 3.73 gear ratio so any EL with HD tow had 3.73 gearing. I believe standard length models could have 3.31s as long as they were 2WD.

3.15 were never used with the 5.4 Triton

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
isn't part of the HD tow package 3.73 ratio ELSD axle? i thought that is part that brings the max tow capacity to 9000lb
With the 3.5L EcoBoost, the 18-19 Expi NEEDS the 3.73 rear end to get the 9,000+ towing capacity. That is the statement I get from the old master mechanic at the Ford dealership. He's really interested in the 10 speed tranny, EcoBoost, and towing performance. His statement to me (we've been fellow church members for a couple years) was that he believes the towing capacity is conservative without the HD tow package, but anything above 7,500 lbs would really be a challenge on the EcoBoost without the towing rear gears.