Installed new 5 star tuner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! I talked to the owner Last week he and his wife both have expiditions , he recommended the 93 performance tune so that's what I have programed in now.
I've built engines and entire cars for that matter but I relied on my friends at cruising gold to help program and install it.it is really an easy install I'm just not a computer guy.
I can't believe the difference the vehicle is a total animal.tap the gas and you better have alot of real estate in front of you.
It's all good stuff and alot of fun..my buddy has a new suburban and he can't believe it. This is the best improvement in a car since 1972 when I drove a new chevy Vega home and dropped a 427 435 horse big block chevy in it lol.
I believe 5 star has it nailed pretty good.and I think if driven with a degree of sanity it won't harm the vehicle. They do recommend changing plugs between 30 or 40k miles, which likely isn't a bad idea.
Has anyone had one of these installed long term?
This unit has the n gauge tuner,they emailed me an instruction manual for it which was informative.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! I talked to the owner Last week he and his wife both have expiditions , he recommended the 93 performance tune so that's what I have programed in now.
I've built engines and entire cars for that matter but I relied on my friends at cruising gold to help program and install it.it is really an easy install I'm just not a computer guy.
I can't believe the difference the vehicle is a total animal.tap the gas and you better have alot of real estate in front of you.
It's all good stuff and alot of fun..my buddy has a new suburban and he can't believe it. This is the best improvement in a car since 1972 when I drove a new chevy Vega home and dropped a 427 435 horse big block chevy in it lol.
I believe 5 star has it nailed pretty good.and I think if driven with a degree of sanity it won't harm the vehicle. They do recommend changing plugs between 30 or 40k miles, which likely isn't a bad idea.
Has anyone had one of these installed long term?
This unit has the n gauge tuner,they emailed me an instruction manual for it which was informative.
I’ve had an sct x4 for 7 months now. I’m running 93 perf tune on 93 octane revision 7. I would change your plugs ASAP to step colder and have them properly gapped to 0.028”. More boost loves a tighter gap. You can either keep that base tune or datalog and send in for revisions. A big thing they will look at is your knock value. Positive above +5 is bad and the vehicle is pulling timing and losing power. You want it as close to 0 as possible at WOT but -3 to +3 is a good range

OP
OP
G

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been -2 to-5 At Times THAT One THING They Asked Me When I called. They said it was good. I will keep an eye on it as weather gets hotter and see if that changes. I think the more of these tunes they sell the. Closer they get to perfect. I'll call them in a few weeks for a plug that would be good.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been -2 to-5 At Times THAT One THING They Asked Me When I called. They said it was good. I will keep an eye on it as weather gets hotter and see if that changes. I think the more of these tunes they sell the. Closer they get to perfect. I'll call them in a few weeks for a plug that would be good.
Yeah Thts good, weather won’t effect that, gas quality and spark plug gap will though. Are you familiar with data logging?

DGeis

Reaction score
I see that you can buy a number of different tunes (e.g., 93 performance, 93 tow), but how does this work with the various stock driving modes?

It is my understanding that the existing drive modes vary the throttle response, suspension settings, shift points, and in some cases engages 4A. Does Five Star replace these, complement, etc.?

Additionally, does this turn off the auto-4A when you select Sport? I hate that it does this.

I have a 2018 Platinum btw.

Dan

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think some of your questions refer to four wheel drive mine is 2 wheel drive so I can't answer that.
Throttle response is greatly improved,shift points are changed mostly when you get on it a bit.the sluggish feeling in gas pedal response is more like a cable operated unit.I understand the torque convertor locks up sooner and stays locked up longer.
After a couple days of playing with it I'm getting back to normal driving and think I may actually get slightly better mileage..
And my knock sensor goes between 0 and negative 3 I think I posted an erroneous number before.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think some of your questions refer to four wheel drive mine is 2 wheel drive so I can't answer that.
Throttle response is greatly improved,shift points are changed mostly when you get on it a bit.the sluggish feeling in gas pedal response is more like a cable operated unit.I understand the torque convertor locks up sooner and stays locked up longer.
After a couple days of playing with it I'm getting back to normal driving and think I may actually get slightly better mileage..
And my knock sensor goes between 0 and negative 3 I think I posted an erroneous number before.
When you punch it from a dead stop, how high is the highest your knock goes? Driving around town your gonna be seeing zero a lot. Knock really only matter at full bore WOT, so whatcha got there??

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see that you can buy a number of different tunes (e.g., 93 performance, 93 tow), but how does this work with the various stock driving modes?

It is my understanding that the existing drive modes vary the throttle response, suspension settings, shift points, and in some cases engages 4A. Does Five Star replace these, complement, etc.?

Additionally, does this turn off the auto-4A when you select Sport? I hate that it does this.

I have a 2018 Platinum btw.

Dan

With these new 10speeds with the different driving modes, each type tune is calibrated to these modes. Want a balls to the walls aggressive 93 perf? They can probably set it up for your sport mode. Want a low power hi fuel economy tune? They will probably set that to y’all s eco mode. Please call or email Joshua Newman at 5 star. Lead calibrator and the dude is a mastermind with these new 10speeds.

DGeis

Reaction score
When you buy a single tune does that become the 8th (or whatever) driving mode or are you altering the "normal" drive mode? I guess my question is part on the "configuration" and part just a basic "when you turn on the tuned car, what modes are there?"