Instrument Cluster Lights and PATS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
Hello all. 05 Expedition EB 4x4 3v V8.

I’m wanting to remove my instrument cluster for two reasons. 1. To replace the cluster bulbs because I have one burnt out; and 2. Fix my LCD display which has dimmed down to invisible (I’ve read it has a cold solder that needs repair, too easy).

Will removing the cluster trigger the PATS?? Or will it be fine since I’m putting the original cluster back in?

Also, because I haven’t been able to find a SOLID answer, what bulb size and how many do I need for the back of the cluster? I’m looking for original bulbs, not LEDs. I’ve searched forums up and down and the most common answer I’ve seen was #74 bulb, but this was argued. Others said #2723, #194 (which is absolutely incorrect)... please help. I don’t want to order a bunch of wrong stuff and have to remove the cluster multiple times.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I remember right, the cluster bulbs are 74 with a t5 base. Check my post history for my adventures with my dash lights :)

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I havent done a cluster removal on an expedition I have on many other vehicles without issue, including a friends 09 f250. Disconnect battery beforehand and the car wont really have any idea that you've removed anything so long as the same cluster is installed and you dont forget any connectors before it's all powered up again.

Remote starts sometimes require a PATS interrupt and event that doesn't pose an issue as long as connection is done right so my guess is you're fine. Basically if it were my truck I'd have no concern. I have a spare vehicle in case I were wrong and couldn't immediately address any problems that came up, however.