Intake Air Temp Sensor Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Psychobot90

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Yupster Dog I got a Doorman sensor from the parts store and it came with the new plug end so I spliced it on while waiting for the Ford part. Didn't resolve the issue. Code came back immediately on startup. Put the new sensor in and spliced on the original plug. No dice.

How about the other sensor on the turbo pipe? There is some confusion on my part on the differences between the IAT and Air Charge Temp Sensors... The one I bought was called Air Charge Temp sensor by ford, but the code is for the IAT bank 1 sensor 1. Forscan does not show a sensor for bank 2. Maybe I need to look at that other sensor? I can't remember the name of it, but it's on the turbo pipe below the fuel pump, driver side.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
OK, here is the other sensor I was referring to (attached). It is labeled as "TCBP (Turbocharger Boost Pressure) / CACT (Charge Air Cooler Temperature) sensor" which is why I'm second-guessing myself now. Can anyone clarify whether my symptoms would be caused by this sensor failing?
It's worth noting that DTC now shows an underboost P0299 code as of this morning.

Screenshot 2021-01-01 1639299.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-01 164453.jpg

OP
OP
Psychobot90

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, new theory - could a bad PCM be the culprit?

OP
OP
Psychobot90

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the PCM
you can multimeter at the posts to see if you get 5v that would clarify that question.
@Yupster Dog that would only apply to the reference wire though and we've already confirmed 5v at the sensor. It's the signal wire that is the wild card here, right? -40° I beleive is the max "bottom" range of the sensor, so I'm not sure if that tells us anything. I was thinking if the PCM was faulty, it could be interpreting the sensor incorrectly and causing the lean condition. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Psychobot90

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the oil temp is not showing any more. Am I crazy in thinking maybe the PCM is shot? With the p0113 and p0229 codes showing up at the same time, and now the oil temp gone, unless I'm mistaken all three of these sensors communicate directly to the PCM, right? Oh, and now it's showing the IAT code p0112. Could replacing the PCM be my magic fix? Any way to verify this?7c86ef43a913641e6c68895ea2a30d5b.jpg

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the oil temp is not showing any more. Am I crazy in thinking maybe the PCM is shot? With the p0113 and p0229 codes showing up at the same time, and now the oil temp gone, unless I'm mistaken all three of these sensors communicate directly to the PCM, right? Oh, and now it's showing the IAT code p0112. Could replacing the PCM be my magic fix? Any way to verify this?7c86ef43a913641e6c68895ea2a30d5b.jpg

Man, It is either the PCM, or a bad ground to the PCM possibly.

First let’s Clear the KAM so the PCM will relearn. Connect all sensors back up before you do. There are several big plugs going into the PCM, I believe 3 on the 15-17. Disconnect them all. Turn on the headlights. Leave the battery connected. After about 15-20 minutes turn headlight switch off, reconnect all 3 plugs, give it a few then start it back up. Take it for a drive and then check sensor readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Psychobot90

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, It is either the PCM, or a bad ground to the PCM possibly.

First let’s Clear the KAM so the PCM will relearn. Connect all sensors back up before you do. There are several big plugs going into the PCM, I believe 3 on the 15-17. Disconnect them all. Turn on the headlights. Leave the battery connected. After about 15-20 minutes turn headlight switch off, reconnect all 3 plugs, give it a few then start it back up. Take it for a drive and then check sensor readings.

I did a KAM reset and then PCM reset through Forscan - both back when I just had the p0113 code though. I'll redo in the morning after clearing the DTC and see what happens.

Only other thing I haven't done yet is replace the factory IAT connector. It's on order and I'll install as soon as I get it just to rule that out, but the existing doesn't show any defects.

For my own knowledge, am I right in thinking these DTCs are all related? No other issues prior to the IAT. Could a bad IAT/IAT wiring cause this chain of sensor malfunctions?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did a KAM reset and then PCM reset through Forscan - both back when I just had the p0113 code though. I'll redo in the morning after clearing the DTC and see what happens.

Only other thing I haven't done yet is replace the factory IAT connector. It's on order and I'll install as soon as I get it just to rule that out, but the existing doesn't show any defects.

For my own knowledge, am I right in thinking these DTCs are all related? No other issues prior to the IAT. Could a bad IAT/IAT wiring cause this chain of sensor malfunctions?

I think you have a common denominator. The root has still not been determined. Do it via the Plugs, not via FORSCAN.

I think it could if they share a common harness.

OP
OP
Psychobot90

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SOLVED.
I received the new Motorcraft connector, spliced it on and problem solved. Reset the DTC and all codes gone. Engine running smooth after an 800 mile trip with the travel trailer.

I decided to investigate the original connector and found that the reference wire was broken inside it's jacket. I found a little white stretch mark so i pulled on the wire and sure enough, it stretched. I spliced it all back together (I was still waiting for the replacement connector at the time), reinstalled it and my problems disappeared.

Now we know - if this sensor/connector is defective you can expect multiple DTCs indicating turbo underboost and/or misfires. The engine oil temp readings will also disappear from the driver display. It's worth noting that the -40° I was seeing for air temp is actually where the sensor signal bottoms out. I beleive it tops out in the other direction at 280°. I got both readings at different times.

I'm attaching a couple photos for the historic record.
Thanks for the input guys!e9f77d184a0e3d9c99d7432661059e9d.jpgda13a979013114b71296756e053e0ab9.jpga1ef2c9c9a704f7140c1281d53b9f0aa.jpga9ea7e833a21c1a58cbe07906001714a.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes