Intake manifold replacement parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2002 Expo, 250,000 miles, has a aftermarket intake manifold that was installed by previous owner that is leaking coolant on top of the engine valley and steaming out tailpipe. The major steam from the tailpipe ends once the engine warms up. I am going to replace with a new OEM intake manifold from dealer and a Fel-Pro MS98008T3 Intake Manifold Gasket Set. In addition to these, I probably will need the machine bolts for the coil packs and brackets since the POS aftermarket replaced them with self tapping screws. i know this is a lot of labor so please let me know, in your opinion, of any other parts/gaskets or o-rings that I am forgetting and should be replaced at this juncture or pitfalls in this operation that would be helpful to me. Thanks, Ed
View media item 7272Made In China aftermarket Intake

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d head to a junkyard and pull the intake manifold off and keep all the bolts/hardware. Probably wouldn’t keep the manifold. Good practice. Swapping a manifold really isn’t that tough.

Then I’d get a Motorcraft manifold. A little more expensive than the Dorman, but the quality is worth it. My dorman lasted about 40k miles. The Motorcraft had 35k miles on it when I sold it and it’s still going (sold it to a friend’s brother).

And get new spark plugs. Changing the plugs will be a breeze with the manifold off.

OP
OP
zfifty

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Tom for the heads up. I am picking up a new intake Motorcraft Ford (2L1Z-9424-AA) OEM from Ford dealer, within a 45 minute drive from me, tomorrow. One of the few dealers who had it in stock. Got him to discount it from $285 to $225. Since no cost in shipping, it will be about same as cost from other dealers online when you include their shipping costs. Ordered the Felpro gasket set to match. Great idea, I will go to local pull-a-part and get the bolts and any other small parts I may need. Will do on replacing the plugs. If anyone can think of anything else I could use from pull-a-part please let me know. I have done a lot of business over the years with them.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the condition of hard-to-access rubber parts while you have it off (vac hoses, elbows, etc)

OP
OP
zfifty

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the spark plugs and torqued them to 28ft lbs. Removed leaky aftermarket intake. Installed new OEM intake manifold and Felpro gaskets. Cleaned throttle body. Acquired missing fasteners from pull a part. No more coolant leaks and runs smooth.
20210103_003347.jpg

OP
OP
zfifty

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most difficult part of procedure was stretching across the bay to reach the back of engine. I used a step stool to stand on, but a topside creeper would have been the bomb.
s-l640.jpg