Intelligent Access and Auto Start-Stop Fails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caviar65

Reaction score
Hey folks. So for at least 6 months the auto start/stop on my ‘18 limited hasn’t ever engaged. I’m kinda meh on it so no big deal, I just ignored it. But now over the past couple months we’ve also noticed that the intelligent access feature (opening or locking door by placing hand on door handle sensors with key close by) only works on the driver door. I just ruled out the battery by re-testing these functions after hooking up battery to a charger and verifying it reached “float charge” shortly thereafter. Made no difference. Not sure if these are possibly related issues or just coincidence. Any ideas, or time for the dealer? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you use an AGM rated charger and check the voltage across the terminals? Did you have 12.8 or above and are the terminals tight. Mine does this every time the battery is low. Keypad on the door also freaks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s the battery. The battery isn’t bad or anything, just not getting charged enough and the system gets confused. I had the same symptoms you describe. My power third row also stopped working if you want to check for another symptom.

My dealer “reset” the ASS and all was well from then on. Well, until about 6 months later when it started again.

I just leave my doors open too often (kids) and don’t drive for extended periods of time often enough. My trickle charger for about 12 hours also seems to correct the issue. It’s unfortunate that they didn’t design the system with a second battery (like some of the Germans) or a mild hybrid system (like Ram) to handle all the electronics, but they didn’t. Oh well

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has done the same thing when the battery gets to about 50% charge. My tailgate ‘close’ button on the tailgate had a slight draw and Lincoln replaced it under warranty, no more issues. You either have something causing a draw or you’re not driving enough, which is entirely possible with the current pandemic.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our auto "start/stop" system hasn't kicked in in over one year. Have no idea why. Everything else works normally. Normal?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For ASS, one of the screens on the instrument cluster will tell the reason that it is not stopping. It is under the trip/fuel menu. It can range from charging, engine temp low (must be >150°F), wheels turned too far, etc.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our auto "start/stop" system hasn't kicked in in over one year. Have no idea why. Everything else works normally. Normal?

Mine either. It’s normal-ish. Your battery is a bit low but not enough to be a problem for anything. A lot of folks on here have spent good money to disable that system, just count yourself blessed and don’t worry about it.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you complaining that the auto stop-start doesn't work?
You would probably be the first person in the world that did.
For real. Best example of ‘feature, not bug’ I’ve read yet.

OP
OP
C

Caviar65

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info and good to hear of similar experiences. Based on this I’m back to suspecting it’s battery related, as suggested. All our drives, especially lately, are very short, so not much recharging going on. Is there much going on when the car is garaged (unlocked) that can slowly drain the battery?
I can definitely ignore the ASS not working, but it’s more of a pain when intelligent access is affected. Interested to check the instrument cluster for clues as well as I didn’t know that was possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk