Interesting take on auto industry woes/falling new sales

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You were jumping my shit about your thought that I said it was wrong or something like that to use your phone to look up information on things and to get facts.
I don't recall ever saying that. I mentioned doing a crash course or skimming some web pages to get some data that's posted but I already covered how that is very inconsistent.

And now it makes even less sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s what you get for assuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming was just a poor word choice since you love to argue about previous quotes and specific word usage.
I was referring to when you made the comparison of old vs new by saying you had owed cars without the features and have owned cars with the features. I guess you were saying you like cars with the features better and that's what you by now.
I was referring to Cars 8 to 10 years or so old and I guess those were the old cars that don't have those features. You use the word modern and that's a synonym for newer. This is where my comment of you bringing up old vs new comparison came from.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’re on an expedition forum and you’ve never ridden in an expedition?
Depends on whether or not your post was Expedition and or Navigator or -Expedition or Navigator-, or Expedition and Navigator.

Just being pedantic. I've never ridden in a navigator, just driven them.
Which this thought process in and of itself can be an exercise in pedantics, specifics, OCD, personal opinion, common use, etc.

Is riding the same as driving? Many people would say there's a definite distinction. When you drive a vehicle are you riding in it?? That's a little more subjective but maybe less to some people.
You're certainly not running along beside it and you're not on the roof so you're not riding on it. But if you ride in the trunk of a car that would be like riding in the back of an SUV which I've done under a large tarp to sneak into the racetrack without paying money.
It really wasn't an SUV. It was a giant Suburban which is really more of a just Utility Vehicle. Not a whole lot of sport to those old models.
They really should have called them PUV for personal utility vehicle since most utility vehicles were or are commercial in nature.

But when you go for a drive do you also go for a ride?
You can't be driving if you're riding and you can't be riding if you're driving...or can you?
Dum da dah... rrrrhat da da da da da daa da circus, dat dat da da da da dat dat afro.....
circus afro circus afro....
polka dot polka dot polka dot afro!

This is the size and capacity of navigators I'm accustomed to.

20200415_235904.jpg

Now picture rolling up in one of these with a about 20 midgets in circus clown afro attire and let them come piling out the door one after the other one while you're blaring this song! It would be just as funny with a bunch of short little kids but it'd be hilarious if they were all midgets.

There's certainly something wrong with me.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It really wasn't an SUV. It was a giant Suburban which is really more of a just Utility Vehicle. Not a whole lot of sport to those old models.
They really should have called them PUV for personal utility vehicle since most utility vehicles were or are commercial in nature.

View attachment 35519

Now picture rolling up in one of these with a about 20 midgets in circus clown afro attire and let them come piling out the door one after the other one while you're blaring this song! It would be just as funny with a bunch of short little kids but it'd be hilarious if they were all midgets.

I suspect "sports utility" was coined to mean "easily haul your **** out into the field"... or perhaps even simpler yet. Government titles on light trucks, at least those with roofs, call em utility class. Someone coined "sport" because it sounded better for marketing than "civilian" to denote a model that had somewhat improved regular use amenities over a work-utility model.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming was just a poor word choice since you love to argue about previous quotes and specific word usage.
I was referring to when you made the comparison of old vs new by saying you had owed cars without the features and have owned cars with the features. I guess you were saying you like cars with the features better and that's what you by now.
I was referring to Cars 8 to 10 years or so old and I guess those were the old cars that don't have those features. You use the word modern and that's a synonym for newer. This is where my comment of you bringing up old vs new comparison came from.

I certainly didn’t mean a car from the last millennium.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on whether or not your post was Expedition and or Navigator or -Expedition or Navigator-, or Expedition and Navigator.

Just being pedantic. I've never ridden in a navigator, just driven them.
Which this thought process in and of itself can be an exercise in pedantics, specifics, OCD, personal opinion, common use, etc.

Is riding the same as driving? Many people would say there's a definite distinction. When you drive a vehicle are you riding in it?? That's a little more subjective but maybe less to some people.
You're certainly not running along beside it and you're not on the roof so you're not riding on it. But if you ride in the trunk of a car that would be like riding in the back of an SUV which I've done under a large tarp to sneak into the racetrack without paying money.

But when you go for a drive do you also go for a ride?
You can't be driving if you're riding and you can't be riding if you're driving...or can you?
Dum da dah... rrrrhat da da da da da daa da circus, dat dat da da da da dat dat afro.....
circus afro circus afro....
polka dot polka dot polka dot afro!

This is the size and capacity of navigators I'm accustomed to.

View attachment 35519

You can almost hear your liver screaming for mercy.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I certainly didn’t mean a car from the last millennium.
There were a few fairly feature-packed cars but most occurred right in the last 10 years of that millennium.
Like the Mercedes I mentioned that with a push of the button for the keyfob would roll up all the way those and close the sunroof. That's a sweet feature. And once you've had it it really sucks to go back to a car that doesn't have it.

It's kind of like once you have DVR on your TV you never want to go back to having to watch live TV. I'm a person who can't stand to watch a commercial. It infuriates me. So we just started recording every last thing so we could skip every commercial.

I have said many times that it was right around 1996 or so that they've pretty much got cars and car engines figured out. Then we had that lovely Sweet Spot honeymoon. For a good number of years that cars were lasting much longer, engines going a quarter of a million miles without ever even having a valve cover off, no leaks and drips like the old days, no you all use between changes, not rusting out like they did up until and through the 80s...
They were just doing great! Yes, the prices had gone up with inflation but at least you were getting more life expectancy for the money you spent so you are able to keep cars longer so your cost per year actually went down.
I remember people buying cars and trucks back in the mid-seventies that had giant rust holes through them in three to four years. You could put your fist through holes in the fenders.
That's why a lot of people got into the habit of getting a new car every 3 years.

There's definitely kind of like timeframes and waves we're certain features become prominent or take over.

Think about in the old days and cars didn't have power steering or power brakes and they were just options. You can even order cars with or without. Then pretty much all cars had them.
Then the special option packages came in where you pretty much got cruise control and delay wipers and other things all as part of a package.
Things like AC coming with 10 and glass.
Power windows power door locks power driver seat.

Then around the late nineties you saw cars adding extra power ports as we no longer called them cigarette lighters or lighter sockets because smoking was out.

Then, high-end cars got navigation systems built in which is a weird story of evolution of laws and regulations in and of itself but that's a different story.
Then touch screens become more popular and integrated stereos and to touch screens and information centers along with Bluetooth and USB charging ports.

Heated and even cooled seats got much more popular around this time too.

Then there's the Adaptive or smart cruise control with auto braking and then the collision avoidance systems with auto braking and then Lane deviation warnings along with auto steering back into lane.

I find that a 99 to 2000 vehicle is often fairly Advanced though and has most all the convenience and features many people need. Certainly not a 2000 base model Ford Taurus or Focus or whatever they were making at that time
But a 99 or 2000 Cadillac or Lincoln Town Car is quite a nice, luxurious vehicle with plenty of comfort and convenience features.

If you want some of the newer technology you only have to go up to around 2005 to 2008 to get that.

It just depends on what each person wants but it's annoying to me that if you're going to buy new nowadays it's hard to find anything that's not jam-packed with stuff that a lot of people don't care about, will even use, or even want to be on their cars.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect "sports utility" was coined to mean "easily haul your **** out into the field"... or perhaps even simpler yet. Government titles on light trucks, at least those with roofs, call em utility class. Someone coined "sport" because it sounded better for marketing than "civilian" to denote a model that had somewhat improved regular use amenities over a work-utility model.
I think you're right that it was just a better marketing term using sport. I find that far more people actually bought the earlier large SUV's to pull trailers and use for more utility purposes than they did carrying kids to soccer games or transporting gear.

The Suburban was the vehicle of choice for many years at the race tracks for hauling cars on trailers.

We have to remember to that the Broncos and Ramchargers and K5 Blazers were also SUVs. Just not really marketed as such back then.
The utility aspect and or convenience might have been lower since they were only two door vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes