Interesting take on auto industry woes/falling new sales

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You made the comparison of old to new

Nope. I said I enjoyed having a 450hp 6000lb, 7/8 passenger vehicle that gets 21mpg.

You then inexplicably went on for page after exhausting page about how a really fast car from the 80’s can kinda keep up with a giant suv from today.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cannot even imagine what you are talking about lol.
That was supposed to be as a facts finder...not fax.-autocorrect-

Nope. I said I enjoyed having a 450hp 6000lb, 7/8 passenger vehicle that gets 21mpg.

You then inexplicably went on for page after exhausting page about how a really fast car from the 80’s can kinda keep up with a giant suv from today.
In your first statement you didn't say anything about the weight of the vehicle or the number of passengers but I won't cut and paste it for you.

Once again, it does not kind of keep up with. It beats it.

Remember my original comment when you started posting Factory horsepower numbers for the Grand National is that you'd be hard-pressed to find a turbo Regal that was in Factory original set up.

My overall and only main point was that tons of 86-87 Regals are running around better faster that any stock Expedition or Navigator and these get 23 miles per gallon on the highway.

You're the one that had to take it off into exactitudes and the pedantics of every single word and statistic a factory levels.

We didn't even discuss other obvious things like there are plenty of things a navigator does much better than any Buick Regal.

I would enjoy traveling with over one person much more in a Navigator or Expedition because they can open the door themselves and get in. Plus look at all the extra people with the third row!
Not to mention it'd be a lot safer Towing something.
I've always thought it looks terribly funny to pull any type of trailer with a car even though they make hitches for them.

And you certainly couldn't get Factory leather seats in a Grand National , they did however make them. Very, very rare option and I've seen them in and 83 Regal in Sandstone beige I believe was the exterior color.
Also saw a very odd Factory original T-type that had a stainless steel gas tank on it that the owner said something about a CNG option and this was a new one to me but I never really bothered to research it or if I did I forgot what I looked up.
I really have forgotten more than most people have ever known about turbo Buicks.

I don't rant and go on and on and on when people don't contradict me with things I know not to be true.

Anyone who looks at factory or numbers for turbo Buicks from years ago and determines that's how fast they are....will be astonished when I see How They Run on the street in real life.
Just a few years ago the Viper boys thought they could beat the Grand Nationals. That didn't happen.
A Viper might beat one with 120000 original miles that's never even had a spring clean up, has an oil-soaked intercooler and leaky intercooler hoses, and running on cheap gas so it pings badly when you get into the factory boost and kicks in a bunch of not counts and then timing retard but the average show car quality one you're going to see cruising the streets will absolutely spank a Viper. Then we must also mention that if you do this from a 20 or 25 mile per hour roll the ass whooping is even more extreme.

Trust me, I used to chase them down and race them back in the late 80s and up until around 92 and most of them are bone stock in the area. I had a hot rod 67 GTO that would eat a stock one or even a slightly modified one even from a 25 mile per hour roll.

I hated 5.0 Mustangs with a passion because every person that drove them, I called them Mustang Boys, thought they were hot shit and had a fast car. The damn things ran like 15.5to 15.7. That's not even quick let alone fast.

So I would make a U-turn through six Lanes of traffic to go chase down a Mustang if he so much as looked at me.
Then the Grand Nationals were quite a bit faster than Mustangs and they were few and far between so I liked to race those too.
My favorite thing to do was get beside them and start staring at their Fender badge the one that says Grand National intercooled. I would point at it and when they would say something to ask me what I was meaning I would tell them "I don't see nothin grand about it".
Ah, good times. I never did get beat by any of them.
Then, later on after I decided to turn to the dark side and get one. I made sure that it would beat that car.
Am I a hypocritical? Not really. When the car is first came out and I saw the first commercial on TV I knew I wanted one. When I was a fresh driver driving my mom's car one day I asked if we could pull into the Buick dealership and we did. There were three of them sitting there in the parking lot next to each other at something like $17,900. I really wanted one but there's no way at that age that I could swing that kind of money.
So I started out with a free 73 Buick Century, then moved on to a 68 LeMans, then got the 67 which was an absolute show car inside outside underneath and under the hood.
At the time I didn't really see the need for a grand national because my car was faster and I was continually modifying and building it.

But in a few short years they were really starting to put the power under the hood for normal everyday drivers and normal people not the superstars at the racetrack.
Companies popped up all over the company that specialize in Turbo Regal parts.
Yes, the big names like Kenny duttweiler her running below 8.5 second quarter mile but that took tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.
These companies around the country had normal customers who drove these cars to work that still had the factory 3.42 rear end that we're running 10.5s.
That's when I knew I had to have one. You could build the old muscle cars to be fast but pretty soon they became trailer Queens with horrible Street ability and high RPMs and terrible gas mileage.

So in a way it was kind of the first step of technological evolution of cars getting to where they are even better today. They even have special nodes and valet keys. You can get in a demon and drive the car cross country if you want or get the tires warmed up or put on another set of tires out of the trunk and crank off sub 10-second quarter-mile all day long.
Well, actually only wants it most race tracks because then they'll ban you for not having the proper equipment.

Absolutely amazing that the factory made a car that was so fast it's illegal by NHRA or any other race track rules to even drive it down the track because it's so fast.

The Ford Thunderbolt was a badass car being a factory race car with no warranty but the demon and Hellcat, unbelievable!
Having said that though for every Hellcat you can show me I can show you a T-Type Regal that runs just as fast if not faster and does it on six cylinders with only 231 cubic inches.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In your first statement you didn't say anything about the weight of the vehicle or the number of passengers

Fair point.

When posting on an expedition forum thought, about an expedition/navigator, its safe to believe that other members would at least have a basic understanding of the general size and occupant capacity of a expedition/navigator.

Apologies.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn’t make any more sense as facts.
You were jumping my shit about your thought that I said it was wrong or something like that to use your phone to look up information on things and to get facts.
I don't recall ever saying that. I mentioned doing a crash course or skimming some web pages to get some data that's posted but I already covered how that is very inconsistent.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I mistakenly assumed you understood the general size and occupant capacity of a navigator.

Apologies.

And when I said that you made the comparison of old to new and you came back with the nope response about enjoying a large SUV with horsepower Etc...

I was referring to when you said you had owned cars without these enjoyable features and you have owned modern cars with them.

I was assuming when you said you had cars without these features that you meant older cars since you then used the word modern in the next comment

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I posted on an expedition forum, about an expedition/navigator I mistakenly assumed you understood the general size and occupant capacity of a expedition/navigator.

Apologies.

How could I have since I've never ridden in one. Just like those seats! I couldn't possibly understand or even comprehend what a massage seat is like in an automobile since you said I've never had a car with them installed.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was assuming when you said you had cars without these features that you meant older cars since you then used the word modern in the next comment

That’s what you get for assuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk