Interesting video on snow tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
interesting, not a shock though. a better test would have been 2 identical vehicles not the 2WD 4WD part. i guess they were trying to make a point.

i was (once again) looking at the chains or cables for my Expy this morning. Ford sells nothing (in accessories) and advises no chains on front wheels, only rear & use cable type chains ... which is disappointing for a vehicle of this type. i need to gear up for the Coquihalla this winter. what to do?

2014EL

at least i have good snow tires with a lot of tread
i want MORE

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Years ago I got to drive 2 identical CUVs (Honda CRV???) on the ice at the Pepsi Center in Denver. It was a demo put on by Bridgestone to feature their Blizzaks.

I started out in the all season car. Start out at one line, accelerate as fast as possible (I think it was "mash it to the floor and let the traction control do its thing) and then stand on the brakes to engage ABS at another line. Then repeat with the Blizzak equipped car. This was done drag race style. Each time the Blizzak car got to the line first and stopped shorter than the all season equipped car.

It convinced me to run dedicated winter tires for years. But lately, changing wheels/tires twice a year became a huge hassle. Plus storing the tires. I stopped running winter tires several years ago. Denver winters really aren't that bad.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Denver winters really aren't that bad.
Agree. Winter tires are clearly superior but the snow generally melts off the roads so fast here it's not really worth it. On my previous car I finally settled in on Nokian Rotiiva AT's which are an "all weather" tire, aka softer than an all season but tread like a regular AT tire. Did pretty good on all Front Range conditions, and I never had to switch em out. Plus XL rated was nice for towing. Trying to decide now if I should buy another set of Rotiivas to replace the Toyo Open Country H/T's or go with something else.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Several years ago I found a very UN-scientific test comparing winter tires vs "all weather" tires. The vehicle with winter tires was a 2WD Chrysler mini-van with 4 winter tires. The vehicle with all weather tires was a Jeep CJ and it was using 4WD.

Same results. Acceleration, braking and turning.

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not put snow tires on my new Expi or old one. I have, however, put them on my Mustang, 2014 4wd Fusion, and 2012 Focus. The change to snow tires is a night and day difference. The Fusion is ok in the snow without snow tires. I got caught two weeks ago in that storm in NJ without snows. With snows, it is my go to vehicle to run out during a storm. (even over the 4wd Expi)

The 2012 Focus, despite being front wheel drive is worse in snow then my Mustang. I have no idea why. With four snows it is OK.

As all weather tires get better and better at handling dry weather ... they get worse and worse handling snow.

My commute in NJ is 100 miles round trip. I notice in bad weather about 80% of the one car accidents are 4wd vehicles. (SUVs, trucks and AWD) People have to realize snows help you with grip, but does not make you invincible. Nothing helps on ice ... PERIOD.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not put snow tires on my new Expi or old one.
There is a difference between "snow tires" and "winter tires" ! Real winter tires have this symbol
severe_snowflake.gif
on the side wall. If you don't have it, you don't have winter tires and they will not give the benefits shown in the previous video !

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know what they call all-season tires? 3-season tires. It's not just about traction in snow, it's about the actual rubber compound. all-season tires are designed to have doughy consistency in the 50-80 degree use. Drive them in 40 and below and they're as hard as a hockey puck. Good luck trying to get any traction with all-season tires in actual snow, icy roads, etc. Many people confuse snow tires as simply having a more aggressive pattern. It's MUCH more than that. Snow tires' rubber remains soft and doughy in conditions well under 20 degrees. They have a considerably thicker tread, and the pattern yields beyond superior handling in all winter conditions (cold pavement, black ice, snow, slush, etc.). You could even compare summer tires vs snow tires on dry winter pavement in 20-degree conditions and you'd be surprised how much better the traction is with snow tires.

Think of it this way - Take a piece of play-doh, and run it across a coarse surface. Now do the same with a hockey puck. That's roughly the comparison of rubber compound with summer and snow tires.

I take my truck to the dealer twice a year for oil change. Most everyone else does the same. So why not use those times to swap your snow tires? I do my oil/tire change in November and April of each year.

Besides, the OEM all-seasons only last about 30k miles. I reckon most of you here will own your truck for longer than that, so why not get a separate set of winter tires? This way you spread your tire life across two sets. Either way, you'll have to replace your OEM all-seasons after 30k miles.

The extra $80 to mount and balance a set while my truck is in for oil change is a tiny price to pay for super traction.

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a difference between "snow tires" and "winter tires" ! Real winter tires have this symbol
severe_snowflake.gif
on the side wall. If you don't have it, you don't have winter tires and they will not give the benefits shown in the previous video !

I use Blizzak WS80. Back in the day in upstate NY I would stud my tires as well.

Plati

Reaction score
My winter tire on the 2014EL is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I go with Light Truck version to get added tread depth, just have to inflate to 45 psi vs the standard passenger tire 35 psi on this vehicle.
http://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeaka/t3w-tire

My understanding is this tire has a rubber compound that's good in winter BUT can also be driven in summer without tearing it up prematurely. Back in the day I think winter tires had real soft rubber that you would not want to drive in summer. I think technology has advanced beyond that?

The financial puzzle I have is the cost of swapping tires twice a year. Its $80 around here and thats twice a year if I have dedicated summer & winter tires. Working the math, thats roughly the cost of a set of tires every 5 years, in my situation. So I fudge a bit by running the worn down winter tires in the summer every couple few years or so to avoid the swap charges. I also $hitcan tires when they get down below 6/32" tread and go with new ones to minimize swap cost$. This way I minimize swap cost$ and have more tread in winter and summer for a little extra ca$h spend. I like tread depth winter & summer.

I'm thinking I will buy 2 sets of these chain cables ...
https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Ford/Expedition/2014/PW2028C.html?vehicleid=20141229249

Ford says dont put on front but in a pinch I may be glad I have them available. I can try at home and see if I think its an issue.

and this shovel
https://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Alu..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=KD0770YECQER1V5KJX9A

Last edited: