Interior/Courtesy lights not coming on...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LingaB

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2009 Expy EL XLT on Thursday the 29th. This weekend(the first time we were out after dark) we noticed that the interior lights don't come on when you open the doors. They will turn on if you actually turn them on but not as courtesy lights.

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow since I do have a warranty on it, but I am curious if anyone knows what the issue might be.

I did check all the doors and when they are opened I do get the 'door ajar' message on the dash(I read it could be a bad door sensor). Not sure what else I can check.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
LingaB, from the sounds of things, you have a bad GEM module. There is a relay that turns on your overhead lights. But, the GEM module pays attention to which doors are open and since you are getting the door ajar light, that is telling me the GEM module is seeing atleast that much. But, the GEM module is not outputting the signal to the interior lamp relay to activate the relay.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have the opt to change settings for mine...check your setting and make sure theyre set to come on

OP
OP
LingaB

LingaB

Reaction score
Stupid newbie question.... where would that option be? haha I had an escape before and it didn't have ANY of the bells and whistles that my EXPY does.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the dash in the message center. There should be buttons to scroll through and change settings.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on/in the message box on the dash...scroll through that using your setup/info button...

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity is your dimmer control turned all the way down ?

According to the manual if the dimmer control is turned all the way down past the detent it will prevent the interior lights from coming on when the doors are open.

Just a thought.

Matt

OP
OP
LingaB

LingaB

Reaction score
Yes Matt, that was the 'problem'!!! hahahaha I never even saw the dimmer button. Of course now that I know where it is, I can't believe I never saw it! Crawling back under my rock now! ;)