Interior lights randomly on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thetechie01

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 Max Limited last week, and we love it! I have this weird issue that has come up. All the interior lights will randomly come on while driving, and the only way to get them off is to hit the button that makes them not come on with the doors open. It doesn't happen every time, sometimes after a few minutes of driving. There are no chimes or alerts for any of the doors being open. Anyone heard of this?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Despite the lack of an open door alert, the door switches are the first thing I would check. I had a similar issue with my '11 a couple years ago and it was the driver side door switch. The door ajar alert would only pop up on the info center sometimes. Other times the lights would come on and go off without a peep from the info center.

p.s. It seems kind of odd to have such an issue on a 2019. Any chance this vehicle was a flood vehicle?

OP
OP
T

thetechie01

Reaction score
Despite the lack of an open door alert, the door switches are the first thing I would check. I had a similar issue with my '11 a couple years ago and it was the driver side door switch. The door ajar alert would only pop up on the info center sometimes. Other times the lights would come on and go off without a peep from the info center.

p.s. It seems kind of odd to have such an issue on a 2019. Any chance this vehicle was a flood vehicle?
Yeah the problem is I have no idea where the sensors are on this thing! I don’t bet it was a flood vehicle, it came from Canada and don’t most of its short like here in the Pacific Northwest

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The switch that often causes this issue on the older Expeditions (like mine) is found in where the door latch is. Replacement can often be delayed (for years even) by soaking that area in rust penetrant. I don't know for certain if the design is similar on 2019s, but I imagine it probably is. Check eBay for an electronic service manual. They're usually about $10.

Older models: