Interior noise from exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John W

Reaction score
First 2021 Expedition and have noticed that the exhaust is loud enough to be heard in the interior.
Driving speed normal highway condition. Anyone observe this condition?

OP
OP
John W

John W

Reaction score
Nice to see that I'm not the only one, thanks for your feedback.

03Cobra

Reaction score
No its for sure an exhaust note. If you can imagine a 6 cylinder with an aftermarket muffler on it. It sounds like a muffled down fairly quite 4 to 6 banger aftermarket exhaust. My 2018 F150 with the 3.5 hides the sound Ford uses a fake v8 sound played though the speakers in the cab. Seems the Expedition doesn't do that or at least the 2021. My F150 actually sounds pretty good in the cab but its a fake sound.

Blue87GT

Reaction score
I can hear it in my 2020 XLT-sounds pretty decent to me

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may want to try this:
Happy to report, the DEI Muffler Wrap at 24" x 40" fit perfectly, 1-1/2 wraps around the Borla Muffler, with the double layer on top. Reduced the interior sound to a very slight, low tone. Barely audible at 75 mph on cruise control when going up an incline, with no radio. Turn on the radio, and you dont hear the Borla. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010455
From this Thread
Exhaust sound... how to slightly improve?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first bought my 2018 Expedition New, I HATED how much I heard the gross little Honda Civic sounds from the muffler on light throttle and quiet roads. The day we first test drove it, we were like "damn its loud". THEN, I drove my wifes 2018 Navigator and OMG, that thing is 5X as loud. She absolutely pi$$es and moans about the muffler almost daily. Even my neighbor asked what we did to hers that its so loud. He can hear it shift every gear while he's laying in bed early in the morning. lol. So dumb.

I'm a loud exhaust enthusiast, my previous car had a 5.7L HEMI in it with a Corsa Catback, hi-flow mid pipes and headers. This Expedition is just an annoying drone if you really listen closely......

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first bought my 2018 Expedition New, I HATED how much I heard the gross little Honda Civic sounds from the muffler on light throttle and quiet roads. The day we first test drove it, we were like "damn its loud". THEN, I drove my wifes 2018 Navigator and OMG, that thing is 5X as loud. She absolutely pi$$es and moans about the muffler almost daily. Even my neighbor asked what we did to hers that its so loud. He can hear it shift every gear while he's laying in bed early in the morning. lol. So dumb.

I'm a loud exhaust enthusiast, my previous car had a 5.7L HEMI in it with a Corsa Catback, hi-flow mid pipes and headers. This Expedition is just an annoying drone if you really listen closely......

Had the exact same setup on my hemi. It was such a perfect sound. I'm hoping in a couple weeks to have some good things to report on my exhaust issues.

On a side note. I visited one of my favorite exhaust shops recently talking about these. He told me the factory mufflers on these are essentially free flow, and that they are designed so poorly he's replacing at least one Ecoboost muffler a week. He says the heat from the turbos and engine is burning right through the crappy steel wool and mesh, burning out any sound deadening. He's even had to do warranty work for ford lately. Told me many of the aftermarket exhausts are also burning up. Pretty crazy, for a 2nd gen engine this stuff should be better off. Oh, and I trust this shop, they've been doing work for me for nearly 20yrs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze