Intermittent battery light, check charging system warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattus72

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an 04 expedition with 110 amp new alternator and battery. I occasionally get the battery light and "check charging system" warning that may stay for a minute or flash on and off very annoyingly. I've checked wiring and performed continuity tests from alternator to pcm and alternator to battery with no issues. Battery holds 12.5 volts with vehicle off and always hovers around 14-14.5 with vehicle running and holds under load test with lights on and ac running. I bought a cigarette lighter volt reader and when the warnings pop up it's always holding the 14-14.5 volts. Any suggestions where to look next? What voltage is the pcm looking for? I am not sure what brand the alternator is because it's a recent purchase but I do know that both are new so possibly a motorcraft alternator could be the fix? Thanks for your help.

Dryer Dave

Reaction score
I am curious as well. My battery light will occasionally flicker like a loose connection, but then go out for no reason. Mine is 03 Exp...no navi.