Intermittent brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sarahjo

Reaction score
Good evening yall! I replaced the brake light switch in October of 2021 on my 04 Expedition. Everything has been great, and now brake lights have decided to work for a second then not at all. I checked fuses 2 and 18 in the fuse box on passenger side, like google said to do. All fuses are working. Any advice as to what else i can check?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your third brake light work reliably ? The rear brake circuit runs through the multi-switch (turn signal switch on column...). Except for the third brake light, it is an independent circuit running direct from the brake switch on the brake pedal to the light itself. Eventually the turn signal multi switch just wears out and either your brake lights or turn signals quit working. Or the high beam headlights quit. Or a combination there of. I can't promise this is your problem, but that's the common culprit.

Expedition Turn Signal Multi Switch at Rock Auto

Motorcraft Multi Switch at Ford Parts Giant

CBS-1172_Front__ra_p.jpg

OP
OP
Sarahjo

Sarahjo

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply! I have previously replaced my turn signal switch also because my high beams weren't working. For the brake light issue, i took my brake light switch back to autozone, luckily it was a duralast with lifetime warranty, and got a new one for free. Apparently it was a faulty brake light switch the whole time..