Intermittent Burning Smell - Dealer can't locate source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Zanghi

Reaction score
2015 Expedition EL, Limited, 4x4, 102,000 miles - I have been noticing a burning smell intermittently. I notice it most often after I have driven on uneven surface, for example driving up or down a steep driveway but with one corner of the truck hitting the hill first (one of the front wheels would be higher or lower than the other three wheels momentarily). I'm not experienced in engine smells, but it doesn't smell like burning oil to me. If anything, I'd say a cross between burning oil and electrical. On a couple of occasions I have seen a brief puff of smoke come from the back of the hood on the passengers side. I've looked under the hood and cannot find any obvious source. I do not have any fluid leaks visible where I park and my fluid levels seem to stay pretty consistent.

I'm still under extended warranty so have had the dealer look at it a few times now. First they found a leak in my turbo and replaced it under warranty. Then they found a leak in my water pump and replaced that under warranty. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the smell and they can't figure out why.

I do quite a bit of towing if that makes a difference.

The engine is stock except for a K&N Cold Air Intake system.

I'm leaving in 3 weeks for a long road trip towing my trailer and would like to take care of this before I leave. I'll be brining the truck back to the dealer in 2 weeks and would like to give them a list of things to check. Any suggestions would be appreciated! TIA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joe Zanghi

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone have any ideas here? Bringing the Expy in on Monday. Would really appreciate some ideas that I could pass on to the techs so they might track this down. Anybody?

Reaction score
The seat heaters did this on my 2013 limited. Inadequate ground to the controller under the seat! Now the blower motor has a plug that looses continuity!

Good luck keep us posted

pe2te

Reaction score
Wondering if Joe is still around and if this ever got resolved? I'm having the same issue on my 2015 with 98,***. Intermittent burning smell; no noticeable leaks. Any leads are greatly appreciated.