Intermittent, loud turbo noise at 75+ mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford expedition Limited, four-wheel-drive with low range and heavy duty tow package. I also had the special edition package. for approximately the last three years, when I’m traveling on a trip at highway speeds involving 75 mph or greater, a loud noise will suddenly appear from the engine compartment area that sounds like wind, noise, or somethings loose. Very hard to pinpoint. I usually always have my turbo gauge on the instrument cluster. When the noise appears, it seems to be always when the turbo is activated. When I go down the hill, or the turbo is no longer required, the noise goes away. This may last for five minutes, or 15 minutes. Normally slowing down to 65 miles an hour for five minutes or so will make it go away. I don’t seem to lose any power during the episode where the noise appears. The sound seems to happen when I’m about one hour into the trip. Sometimes I go on a trip and drive for seven hours, and nothing like this will happen. But it seems like on most trips now it’ll happen at least one time. I have taken some video on my last trip, which you can see on the instrument cluster when the turbo comes on, the noise appears. However, I am unable to figure out how to add a video to this posting. I can I add pictures, but videos don’t seem to be an option. I can pull my 24 foot 5000 pound tri-Toon pontoon boat up and down the hills in the Ozarks of Missouri with no problems and no loss of power. I’ve never had any warning lights come on the dash. The noise is never reproducible just driving around town. I’m not taking it to a dealership since they won’t be able to reproduce driving around town. It is getting somewhat annoying going on these trips and having this happens every time I go on a trip.

wk99

Reaction score
Not an Ecoboost guy but check this channel out. This guy covers all things Ford and probably can help you diagnose the problem. https://www.youtube.com/@FordTechMakuloco . I know people complain about the turbos on the Ecoboost. Perhaps it's either something to do with a malfunctioning wastegate or blowoff valve. Best of luck, cheers!

rknecht

Reaction score
You described my issue perfectly! Please tell me you found the issue… I’ve had it in the shop twice with no resolution. Thanks