Intermittent rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDR93

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New member here. I moved to Canada from the UK late last year, when I arrived here I instantly had an urge to buy a big truck, so I decided to buy a 2009 Eddie Bauer on 164k miles.

I love this car and have enjoyed some great journeys exploring this new country. However, shortly after buying I got a engine light pop up and I took it to a garage to get it diagnosed. They told me the variable valve timing solenoids need replacing and quoted me $1800 to repair, I have acquired the solenoid valves myself and plan to change them in the near future. The other thing is that sometimes when the engine is hot after a journey and it is in idle, the engine sounds a bit rough and like it’s almost going to stall.

My question to you all is, will there be any correlation between the issue I’m experiencing with the engine in idle and the VVT or is that another issue all together?

Thanks

shoro60

Reaction score
From my experience with the same issue, once you change out the solenoids, it goes away. I did the change myself once and didn't experience that again. I sold that Expy to my neighbor and it still runs smooth until today.

Brons2

Reaction score
I would plan on doing a full timing job over just changing the solenoids. But, it won't hurt to try just the solenoids first.

I'm guessing the shop that quoted you $1800 was planning on more than the solenoids.

The symptoms you describe are well known issues in the 5.4 3V.

OP
OP
S

SDR93

Reaction score
I would plan on doing a full timing job over just changing the solenoids. But, it won't hurt to try just the solenoids first.

I'm guessing the shop that quoted you $1800 was planning on more than the solenoids.

The symptoms you describe are well known issues in the 5.4 3V.
I’ll try the solenoids first and go from there.

They were going to change the spark plugs too which I think is recommended when doing this job but I checked them out and they look relatively new and clean so I won’t be changing them. Also they had priced for an oil and oil filter change in that quote but I already did that myself

Thanks for your reply

OP
OP
S

SDR93

Reaction score
From my experience with the same issue, once you change out the solenoids, it goes away. I did the change myself once and didn't experience that again. I sold that Expy to my neighbor and it still runs smooth until today.

Cool, that’s good to hear, fingers crossed it’s the same for mine. I’ll post the outcome when it’s done!

Thanks for the reply.

Mikezr

Reaction score
I'd buy some vct solenoid gaskets as well if they didnt come with them and I'd doubt $1800 was for a complete timing job since the parts alone are a couple thousand. I got some quotes for the complete job just for fun and it ranged from $3500 to $5000 and not alot of shops wanted the job. Did it myself anyways. Going on two years now and still perfect.

Brons2

Reaction score
Once the oil was changed does it still act up? Need to use 5w20 oil and a motorcraft filter.
Maybe ok for Detroit where you live and in Canada where SDR93 lives, but down here in Texas I use 10w30 and the engine runs a lot more smoothly when hot and makes less phaser noise as evidenced in the drive through. It also reduces the start up chain slapping, I guess it doesn't bleed out of the tensioners as fast.

I'm changing all the timing components soon. Need to do it before it gets hot, which is only a couple of months away here in the South.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you notice any change in noise after oil change? Temperature has little bearing on how the VVT works.

OP
OP
S

SDR93

Reaction score
I used 5w20 oil when I changed the oil and it’s making the rough idle noises before and after the oil change.

I’m currently in the process of changing VVTs will post an update when I’ve completed the change and let you know if it’s resolved the problem or not.

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it!