IPhone lost in bottomless dash!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZJ22

Reaction score
I have two week old 2018 Limited. My phone IPhone 7 was sitting on top of the closed sliding cover for the wireless charging and USB access. After we parked at our hotel tonight that cover was slid back and opened by my son who couldn't see my phone on top of it in the dark. If you look carefully there is a space there just wide enough for a phone to slide into and fall into a bottomless pit. We we call the phone we can hear it ring inside the lower portion of the dash and can feel it vibrating close to the driver's feet. We are out of town so I plan to take it to the local Ford tomorrow. Any other suggestions. Seems like a pretty bad design flaw.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the hole in the dash eating your cell. There's another thread here somewhere, about removing a panel I believe on the driver's side.

Search for gap in center console

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're saying if fell in front or behind the sliding cover but you can pull the console cover off without tools in pinch and check to see if you can get to it with the console cover off.

JTM1961

Reaction score
thanks @rcompart I'm having some trouble with the lighting here to see how you loosened the center console, could you please explain (no need for major detail, just the basics). My key fob slid behind the console, same thing as the other person, I placed it in that gap because it seems to fit there but when I slid open the cover the fob fell behind into the unknown. Commenting in case someone at Ford is listening: how dumb is that console design? Not to mention, the key fob itself is unwieldy and is a bad shape and I keep dropping it, plus there is no place to easily put it when I get in the vehicle (unless I want to slide open the charging station, another poor design), unless I stick it in one of the cup holders, after which, invariably, I try to put a drink in there forgetting the fob is in there and then have to move it which takes my eyes off the road. I love (not) these "old-school" engineers who apparently have not done basic user-focused design. The whole console is very poor design.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I, too, learned the hard way about that gap. Had to brake hard once and lost a pen (no big deal) and a pair of sunglasses down there. Never seen again! Dumb design. Maybe I'll try to take things apart. Thanks for posting the video.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now I know where to stash my dope. LOL!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a little bit of foam needs to fill that gap and prevent stuff from disappearing.

@JTM1961 I keep my keyfob in my pocket, prevents dropping and losing in console. Works pretty well and fits in all my pants pockets quite nicely. The wife keeps her's in her purse, she doesn't drop it or lose it either! ;)

jking05

Reaction score
Set my registration on there and lost it. Someday they will know who the original owner was....I tried taking the console apart like that video but it doesnt get to that black hole. I dont think there is a way getting to it without taking everything apart which I wasnt about to do.