Iron triton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok how compatible are the heads for these engines?

there has to be iron heads for this. it has to exist.
cough em up boys

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok Mr and or, here's what I found. Seems the 4.6 F150's used cast iron heads. You'll need to do a little more research on what years. Theirs a great book on rebuilding your 4.6/5.4 engine that might have the interchange info you need. If it was me I'd call around to engine re-builders on the net, or in your town if you have someone. I'm sure they can narrow down what years. I'm guessing pre 2000, but who knows. You also could do it old school, and take a visit to a wreckers like pick and pull and bring a magnet with you. Magnets stick to cast iron, don't they?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Hehehe. Iron heads on a 5.4 design for aluminum.

That thing is gonna glow from heat. Head gaskets? Stock up.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's got a cast iron block, and unless he's really pushing the speed, like racing, there's no reason why cast iron heads wouldn't work. Ford used them on 4.2's, and some 4.6's. Biggest problem is he has to match Windsor heads to Windsor block. Same with Romeo. I was online an hour ago, and their so many differences between them. It's not as easy as bolting up say a set of Edelbrock heads to a garden variety 350 Chevy motor. Personally, if he's trying to build an all iron 4.6 motor, I'd get the whole motor. That way in case it doesn't match, he can rebuild that one.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's just a waste or money and effort to satisfy a preconceived notion that iron is better.
Iron was better in some ways and for some engine designs but the ford modulars (before vct) are darn great engines and need no head changes at least not in construction material.
If it ain't broke....don't fix it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. If our friend ever finds his heads, builds his Iron Man beast, something won't gel, and it's back to square 1. Theirs a reason why Ford killed the cast iron heads, they probably didn't work right. What would have been cool, is if they made a hybrid head. Cast iron spark plug threads, cast iron saddles, for any bearings, or rocker bolt downs. Would be interesting how'd they'd pour it. Maybe 20 years from now, we'll have the technology to do such a thing.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if there was actually beneficial reasons for Ford going to aluminum heads. Just pretty much everybody went to aluminum and I would assume that it's cheaper to manufacture aluminum heads since they are the most common.
It's the same way in computer parts. Try to go buy a 60 or 80 gig hard drive for a computer. You'll have to pay a crapload for one or buy an old used one. The only thing that's cheap is the run-of-the-mill but not the latest and greatest cutting-edge technology.
I was never a fan of aluminum heads when they first started coming out but on these modular Ford's the heads are absolutely thick and beefy so they work well to absorb all the heat.
I know in the old days for small block Chevys small blocks people bought the the Dart aluminum heads for performance. And those have to be the same design specs and thickness basically as an iron ones. I kind of think in the exact same application and in traditional style not overhead cam heads I would prefer iron too but there are no issues with Ford modular heads creating problems, cracking, or blowing head gaskets... So there's no reason to need any other type of head.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually aluminum is more expensive than cast iron. But at one point you have to go with the flow, excuse the pun! The private car companies like Hudson, Nash, and the rest, lagged behind in the fifties, both with styling, and modern engines due to lack of funds, and it finally finished them. Customer's were buying modern V8 engines in Cadillacs, and Oldsmobiles. Even Lincoln jumped in 1952, Ford, 1954. It's funny how all the major companies know when to change style, engine, Transmission, something. It's like they all have moles working for the competition. Look at 1955 for example, all 3 switched over to modern bodies, modern 12 volt electrical, except Ford. It's move on, or get buried by the competition. More true than ever nowadays.