Irregular idle, spark jumping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The surge in timing is probably just because it is surging and rpms going up. If you give it gas with foot you will see same thing.

Codes are tough. The 2195 stuck lean is probably old from it running rich or loading up and ecm trying to adjust for it.
The others could be a throttle issue.
I think this is electronic drive by wire throttle and don't know if throttle and TPS are the same thing like on GMs. But a flaky or flat spot on the throttle control is like taping gas pedal but faster than you could ever do it. The signal can spike. fall off completely or fluctuate quickly.
This can cause surging. I am not experienced with these enough to know if you would get another code it the throttle control was bad.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, 2004 on up use the electronic fly by wire throttle on F150/Expeditions. Even though he's not throwing a throttle body code, it's possible theirs a leaky gasket on motor assembly, or a problem with the motor itself. Would explain the jump in spark feeling. Well we'll see.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought it was 05 and up to correspond with the three valve but I figured his was an electronic throttle-control and that certainly can cause problems.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Smith

Reaction score
I was able to clear up the O2 codes, replaced sensor. Still have the irregular idle along with an intermittent CEL for misfire on cylinder 1, misfire detected within 1st 1k revolutions? I'm going to look into changing COP and plug again.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems to a rash of misfires this week. Try both the coil and plug. Also be sure the injector plug for #1 along with injector is strong. If these don't do it, as we've said, do a compression test of #1,#2 cylinders. From there, pull the pass side valve cover, and inspect #1 valve parts, along with cam lobes. Keep us posted.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk